CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Start from the beginning

"LONG LIVE THE PRINCESS!"

"USURPER!"

"LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!"

"LONG LIVE THE KING!"

"TRAITOR!"

"ENOUGH," Valyria commanded, raising her voice to catch everyone's attention. If all eyes hadn't been on her before, then they surely were now. One pair of particularly intense amethyst coloured orbs bored into her back but she couldn't bring herself to look at him. She didn't know what she'd be met with. "With these new circumstances coming to light," she continued in a firm but calm tone, "the Small Council needs to assemble to — figure out where the realm stands."

"Valyria is right," Viserys stood from the throne, leaning heavily against his cane again, "court is dismissed."

"Princess Valyria," Ser Erryk said as he approached her, pushing through the crowd. The moment Viserys dismissed the court, several noblemen seemed to lose it. Targaryen guards struggle with keeping them apart to avoid blood being spilled. "I am to escort you to the Small Council chamber."

Valyria swallowed forcefully and offered a small nod. Her feet felt frozen on the ground and it took a lot of willpower for her to turn around. Daemon stood there, jaw set and eyes narrowed at something behind her. "Daemon," Valyria said, gaining his attention through the tumult. "Please take the children with you to their chambers."

Aelia and Daeron both stood close to Cyrenna and Serra, fear in their eyes as they observed the adults around them screaming and some even fighting each other. The guards Valyria brought with her from Sunspear held their weapons ready to push back anyone that dared coming close to any of them

Daemon's gaze snapped towards hers. "I'm coming with you-"

"I need you to take the children with you and go to our chambers," Valyria pleaded, only then realising Rhaenyra had left. Considering the younger princess just lost her throne to Valyria, she probably should have looked for Rhaenyra sooner. Only she could barely think of anything other than her grandfather's declaration.

"No, I'm-"

"Daemon, go with the children," Valyria commanded, not in the right state of mind to argue with him. All she wished for was for Daemon to wrap her in his arms and make everything feel less suffocating. Less overwhelming. "Please."

However, now was not the time for her to crawl up in a hole and disappear from the world. She needed to speak with Viserys and figure out what just happened. Of course she wanted to have Daemon there with her. But more than anything, she needed a clear head and unless she knew her children were well-taken care of during this confusing time.

Gritting his teeth, Daemon gave her a small nod, signalling that he wouldn't argue with her anymore. "Aelia, Daeron," Rhaenys said, taking charge when Daemon and Valyria continued being locked in a staring match.

Ser Erryk gently grabbed Valyria's hand, "We need to go now, Your Highness," he told her, leading her away from her family towards the backdoor behind the throne. He must have noticed her being deep in thought because he made sure to gently guide her until they reached the Small Council chamber.

Inside, Valyria found the King already sitting on his chair at the end of the table. The only member of the Small Council that had yet to arrive was the Hand of the King. In addition to the normal occupants of the chamber Ser Paxton, Lord Benedict and Archmaester Harmune all stood by the table.

"What was that?" Valyria demanded, fixing Viserys with a glare.

Viserys opened his mouth to respond but he did not get a word out. Instead Otto Hightower entered the room with his daughter close behind, "Your Grace, I strongly advise you-"