21.

November 2034

JAMES

James didn't often spend much time in the staff room unless they had a meeting. Most of his free time he spent either cracking away at grading in his office so he could get home at a reasonable hour or pestering Raigan in the hospital wing. Today, however, he made an exception because someone had brought in doughnuts.

He stopped in before his first class to snag one before the good ones were all taken and bumped into Professor Whitby inside.

"Morning, Herschel," James said.

"Good morning," he said distractedly, poring over the selection. When he made his choice, he looked up and seemed to register who had spoken. "Oh," he said, eyes widening. "Just the person I was hoping to see. Your daughter—"

"Oh god, what'd Juni do now?"

"No, no. Not Juni. Ella. Your daughter has the most magnificent voice."

James straightened up. Ella had been in the choir as long as she'd been at Hogwarts and he knew she liked it, but he'd never really heard her sing. Elise would sing around the house a lot, especially while she was in the kitchen, and he'd always thought she had a nice voice, but Ella had never once sung in front of him or anyone else that he knew of. He'd figured she was just musical. Elise had taught her the piano so young.

"I'm sure she's told you all about her audition by now."

"No," James shook his head. "No, she didn't."

"Oh, rats," said Herschel. "I guess I've spilled the beans then. I told her I hadn't said anything to you so she could tell you herself. But as the cat's out of the bag now... well, she auditioned for a solo in winter concert, and I just don't know why it's taken her this long to give it a shot. She's really remarkable. Everyone thought so."

"She auditioned for a solo?" asked James, positively incredulous. That didn't sound like Ella at all.

"She certainly did, and it was wonderful. I've never heard anything like it. I knew she could carry a tune well. She learns music very naturally. She's got a good ear. But to really hear her sing was something else. It wasn't even a competition. She had that part as soon as she opened her mouth."

"I've never heard her sing," said James. "I'd never have guessed she'd even do something like that."

"Oh, well you'll have to come have a listen. We've got rehearsal this evening before dinner. She's a bit nervous about it, but just come stand outside the door or something. She won't even know you're there. It's really incredible. You ought to hear."

"Wow," said James, still taking this all in. "Wow, well that's great. I'm really glad she put herself out there."

"You'll be so proud. She's such a great kid. And just so talented."

"I'm always proud," said James. "Yeah, I guess I'll... I'll try and swing by."

—-

That evening, James headed to the choir room a few minutes after the rehearsal was supposed to start. He felt odd hovering outside the door, which was cracked open, but he knew this was better. Ella would panic if she knew he was listening.

He had to stand out there for a while. They didn't start with her song, but James knew immediately when it was time, because he heard Professor Whitby say, "Alright, get yourself up front where you belong, Miss Mason."

Someone let out a little "woo!" of encouragement.

"Mr. Pickering, we may try this once with you after we run this through the regular way and maybe stop and work on a few things, alright?"

"Ready when you are, sir," said Logan.

James had always liked that kid.

Whitby reminded them of a few notes from their last rehearsal and then began to play the piano. He couldn't hear Ella right away. It started out with the full choir.

They were singing Cast a Christmas Spell which was a beautiful song, though not one of James' personal favorites. It was very reverent, very beautiful.

And then the choir began to hold a series of "oohs" and he heard one single voice.

He knew it was Ella instantly. He'd have known it even if he hadn't been told it was her ahead of time. Her voice tugged at his heart and a very unexpected lump rose in his throat. James had never experienced anything like this from live music before.

Her voice was beautiful. It was so clear. He could tell, because she was his daughter, that she was nervous, a little uncomfortable. But it didn't diminish how obviously talented she was. He couldn't believe he'd never known this about her.

The whole while she sang, he tried not to think about anything else, to just focus on listening, to really take it in. And then as soon as the song ended, he hurried away because it was about the time Elise usually arrived back home and he couldn't wait to tell her. She would be so excited.

—-

"Elise," he said as soon as he arrived home. She was in the kitchen making dinner already.

"I beat you home," she said.

"Yeah. You'll never believe this."

She leaned against the counter and looked at him, waiting for him to go on.

"Ella auditioned for a solo for her choir concert and she got it. I just heard her sing, and oh my god. She's incredible. I had no idea."

"Seriously?" asked Elise.

"Yes."

"Ella?"

"That's what I said," James said, clapping a hand against his thigh for emphasis. "It's unbelievable. I actually got a little choked up. I can't wait for you to hear her."

"I'm just- I'm a little speechless, honestly."

"Just wait until you hear her. Then you'll really be speechless."

"Wow," said Elise, looking down at the floor. "I'm just... she's really growing up this year, don't you think? She's just- she's coming out of her shell and taking risks and..." she trailed off.

"I know," said James. "She just makes me so proud.

"When's the concert?" Elise asked. "I've got to put it on my calendar. Tell my parents."

James gave her the dates and she scratched them down on a piece of paper.

"Ella auditioned for a solo," Elise said, still looking stunned.

"She gets it from you," said James. "You can sing."

Elise gave a little shake of her head. "Only in front of you or the girls. I'd never do a solo in front of an audience."

And it struck James then how very brave Ella was to do something like this, not just because she had always been shy and reserved, but because even Elise, who was the most confident person he'd ever met, would have been hesitant to do the same.