4.

September 1, 2034

JAMES

One of James' favorite things he had discovered about Elise was that she could really be a classic mum sometimes. He'd known she'd be a great mum from the start of course, long before Elise had known it herself, but he hadn't imagined she would get into some of the things she really cared about.

First day of school pictures were one of them.

She had the camera out, and she had made the girls — Ella more reluctant than Juni — bring their trunks out onto the porch and put on their Hogwarts robes. Ella had the prefect badge on and James smiled every time it caught the light and forced him to spot it.

Elise had them sit atop their trunks side by side and Juni, always ready for the camera, put her arm around Ella and tipped her head onto her sister's shoulder.

It was startling how much she looked like a young Elise with her long, shiny blonde hair. She had her Aunt Juliet's eyes though: bright, bright blue. Ella, with her light brown hair, didn't really look like either of them, though her eyes were hazel like his and he was pretty sure she'd inherited her curls from him, too.

Elise took at least a dozen pictures of the two of them and then made them split apart so she could take a few of each girl. Juniper volunteered herself to go first, of course.

James put his arm around Ella's waist while she waited her turn. "Fifth year," he said. "I can't believe it."

Ella just smiled down at her feet.

"You weren't supposed to grow up," he told her.

"Oops," said Ella.

Then Juni got up off the trunk.

"Looks like you're up, Little E," he said.

She was a good sport about her pictures, but all too happy to be done with them. James took their trunks back inside for them, Juni at his heels so she could finish her breakfast. When he looked back out the window, Ella was standing on the porch by herself, elbows resting on the weathered railing, staring out at the water. All the little ringlets in her lopsided ponytail swaying in the gentle breeze. The sight made his stomach hurt. He was lucky to be able to see them nearly every day at school, but summer was different. He loved when they were home.

—-

At King's Cross station, James and Elise let the girls slip through the barrier to Platform 9 ¾ first, then, hands held, they leaned against the brick pretending to have a conversation, and slipped through themselves.

The girls could have just taken the floo network straight into his office, but James had never wanted them to miss out on this part of the Hogwarts experience. It was a right of passage taking the train. And besides, Ella had prefect duties now.

He watched them find all their friends, Juni hugging each one and shrieking like they hadn't spent the entire summer cycling through whose house they were sleeping over at next.

He had a sudden vision of Piper at that age when he had accompanied Raigan to take her to the station. Elise had come too, Ella in her arms just a few months old, and Piper had been so thrilled to see all her friends she'd nearly forgotten they were all there.

But then she'd come back over not too long before the train had been due to leave and she'd had tears in her eyes.

"What are you crying about, love?" Raigan had asked. "You'll see James and I in a few hours."

"I know," she'd said. "But I won't see Ella for a long time and she won't be so little when I get back."

He remembered thinking about that a lot, how she wouldn't be so little anymore. And now here he was again, another new school year starting, and he had a fifteen year old and a thirteen year old. It was an impossible thought, but there they were. Two teenagers.

He looked at Elise and she looked at him.

"We're doing a damn good job at this parenting thing," he said. "We raised a prefect."

Elise laughed. "I applaud us," she said. "Scariest thing I've ever done."

"And the best."

"And the best," she agreed.

Juni was still busy greeting her millions of friends, but Ella found her way back to them then, her trunk already brought onto the train. Her expression was troubled. She looked at Elise and said. "Mum, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Of course."

"Alone?"

"Oh- yes," Elise said, looking surprised but a little pleased. It was usually James that Ella confided in, a fact which Elise had long been insecure about. He and Ella had always been buddies, but Elise had struggled for a long time to adjust to being a mum.

Elise put her arm around Ella now and pulled her away from him a little ways. James resisted the urge to try to sneak closer and listen, but he couldn't stop himself watching as Ella explained something and Elise listened intently. He had no idea what they could possibly be talking about.

Ella had already started her period a year ago and that had been the first time she had ever gone to Elise before him looking for help or advice. What else could there be for her to ask about?

He watched Elise talk to her, hands on her shoulders, watched her pull her into a good, long hug, and then the train whistle blew to warn them it was time to get on board and Elise led her back over to James to say goodbye.

"See you in a little bit," he said, pulling her in for a hug himself. "Have a fun day."

"I will," said Ella.

Juni flew in for last minute hugs and then grabbed Ella's wrist and said. "Come on! We'll be late!" and they hurried off together.

"What was that about?" James asked when the train began to roll away.

"None of your business," said Elise but she was smiling a little and it made him desperately curious.

When the train was out of sight, she turned to him, kissed him once and said, "See you tonight," and then disapparated for work. James didn't know what to think about all this.