Twenty

"What's wrong Arjun?" Ranvijay finally asked. "Nothing, just, I don't like failing, and lately, I have just been failing. " Arjun covered up his real issue and gave a rhetorical response.

Ranvijay nodded and resumed eating, unable to form a sentence that could console him. Finally after 10 minutes of contemplating, he said, when Arjun was leaving his office after lunch. "If it's about the project, then don't worry. Projects are like this only. The more your project faces questions in the planning phase, the more detailed your plan becomes. And if it's about your life, I am here."

Tears accumulated in Arjun's eyes, he was unable to face him, he slightly nodded and left for his cubicle.

Upon return, his brain was still clouded with self doubt and self loath, his brain was so restless, he couldn't think anything new for the project plan, let alone fix the mistakes.

His restlessness caught Sunaina's eyes. She quitely finished her work, and quickly brewed two cups of coffee. She took the coffee to him, "Arjun, let's take a break."

"No Sunaina, I am busy right now." Arjun spoke, without moving his lost eyes from the laptop screen. He was not in the mood to face Sunaina now. He badly wanted to disappear.

Sunaina thrusted one cup in Arjun's one hand and started dragging him by his another hand. "Let's go for a walk. It will clear your clogged mind."

Arjun was too tired to fight a persistent Sunaina.  Sunaina was so used to the flirty joyous Arjun that she too was clueless about how to handle him.

Arjun started walking beside her mindlessly, sipping the coffee. When they reached the balcony overlooking the campus, Sunaina finally pinched in the question, "What's wrong Arjun? Why are you so down?"

Arjun just remained stoic in his place. "Arjun, if you keep your feelings bottled up inside, you are gonna hurt even more." Arjun sighed and repeated the same rhetorical response.

Sunaina was a bit taken aback. Nevertheless she replied, "It's okay, it's just a project. Work harder and smarter, it will be okay. It's not that big of issue to be sullen over so much. Come on."

Arjun's fierce eye met hers, "Yeah? And what about my life?"

Sunaina was even more confused now, "What about your life? You have a stable job, a good house, cars, you have a comfortable life Arjun. Your family is healthy, Ranvijay has forgiven you, then what's wrong?"

Sunaina being so nonchallant irked Arjun even more, "Oh right. Yeah true. I don't think you understand." Sunaina replied immediately, "Then explain, make me understand you."
Arjun got even more agigated, "Leave, it was my mistake to even expect from you to understand."

"Now, you are behaving bratty, Arjun. Why the hell are you blaming me?" Sunaina spoke.

Arjun was so disappointed that he didn't even understood what rubbish he was speaking. "Yeah, you are innocent. It was my fault to seek love in the wrong place."

His words hit Sunaina like a truck, but before she could even reply a word, Arjun left her. It was already 7, he didn't bother to work any more. He packed his bag and left the office. He was about to start his bike, when a call interrupted him. Agitated he answered the call.

"Hello,"
"Hi, did you have the rajma chawal." (Niharika)
"Oh, yeah, I had."
"How was it? Did you like it?" (Niharika)
"Yes, it was good."
"I am thinking of making paratha and chicken tonight. Why don't you come over for dinner?" (Niharika)
"Um, I don't think I can. Some other time."
Sensing the coldness in his voice, Niharika asked, "Arjun. What's wrong?"

Arjun became immobile with the calmness in her voice. "It's nothing, I am fine."

"I want you in my house within an hour." Niharika spoke in an authoritative voice. Arjun tried to escape, "Niharika, I have a lot of work to do. I will come some other time."

Niharika once again repeated, "Either you come in an hour in my house, or I am gonna find you in whichever bar you will be hiding."

Arjun sighed, "Why do you bother? I have been nothing but a menace to you. Why are you caring for me so much?"

Niharika replied without a hitch, "You are my brother, Arjun. It's my right to care for you. Your brother loves you, and I love your brother, see we are trapped in this cute little love triangle." Arjun smiled a bit. She continued, "We are family, Arjun. We stand up for each other. Believe it or not, you are my brother. So, stop overthinking and come. We can discuss whatever is messing up your head. Okay? I am waiting, come safely."

Arjun asked, "Bhai told you na?" 

Niharika smiled, "Yes."

_________________________________________________

Sunaina, on the other hand was still stuck over the words, Arjun has just spelt. What she said was true, he had a much much stable life than her, both financially and mentally. What more does he want? She just tried to help him cope this work stress. It can't be bigger than that, right? Or he would've said. Yeah. If he doesn't communicate properly how the hell would she know.

A lot of pending projects held her hostage till 9 pm. She felt severely alone while leaving the office. Lately, it was always Arjun who dropped her home, no matter what time she leaves. Arjun never hitched to stay back till 10 pm with her.

After two long hours of journey, she reached home. Somewhere she understood, she had taken Arjun for granted.

The next day arrived even tougher for Sunaina.

________________________________________________

What happened next? Updates every Friday. Let me know what you feel.