Many of the people kept to themselves, glancing at their headbands before turning to look at the ground.

They're scared of us, Naruto realised. Why?

Naruto heard a distant explosion and turned to face it.

The buildings' foundations were cracked, small pieces of rubble littering the streets.

Jiraiya motioned to a tavern and entered.

Naruto followed suit.

The tavern was surprisingly bright inside, lamps bursting with lightning chakra adorning the walls. It was nearly full, all manner of people seeking a drink to wash away their worries or maybe just celebrating a success.

Jiraiya glanced around for a moment before sitting at a table.

The woman's posture shifted, straightening from a lazy slouch. "Hello, Jiraiya. Is this for business or are you just here for me?"

"Good to see you again, Yuzuki. What is it that you wanted to tell me?"

"Business, then. You remember the civil war here, right?" Jiraiya nodded and gestured for her to continue.

The nonchalant statement threw Naruto off. A civil war here? When? Why?

"The leader of the to-be usurpers failed to assassinate the Mizukage, and he's furious. He's been leading raids on the rebels, bringing the power of his biju to bear against them. They're probably counting their lucky stars that he doesn't know their actual hideout.

Terumi, in response, has hired the Akatsuki to defeat the Mizukage."

Jiraiya nodded. "I see. Couldn't finish the job herself, so she bought the strongest fighters she could. Who went to complete the mission, and where is the hideout?"

She slid him a napkin.

"At minimum, Kisame Hoshigaki and one other."

"Really? Any description for the other one?"

"Black hair, slim build. I think it's Itachi Uchiha, but a lot of ninja fit that description, so..."

Jiraiya shook his head. "Wonderful. Alright, is there anything you want to drink?"

Yuzuki shook her head. "I was about to go home. I have other things to be doing." She stood up and walked away.

Jiraiya grabbed his shoulder. "Well, that's us done here. We should get going."

The two exited the tavern and were immediately met with a spray of wood and shrapnel.

Naruto covered his eyes with his arm and squinted.

Itachi slid across the stones before turning to them. "Leave. Our employer has requested that we minimise civilian casualties to our best efforts." The two nodded and leapt away.

They heard a second crash, and Kisame was following after the jinchuriki he'd just slammed through the rubble.

Oh, that's Isobu. What's wrong with his chakra? Kurama asked.

The two reached a spot away from all the fighting and stopped.

"Kurama says that Isobu's chakra was messed up. Like there was a genjutsu or something."

Jiraiya's eyes narrowed. "We're getting to the bottom of this."

Naruto huffed. "You said this was an in-and-out adventure!"

"Change of plans." Jiraiya jumped off.

"Hey!" Naruto shouted. He charged after Jiraiya.

The two bounded off towards an unassuming house and knocked on the door.