Chapter Thirty - Aeris

Start from the beginning

"Aeris," I turn, seeing Alvaryn walking towards me with Daella at her side, he is holding her hand and I can't help the surge of jealousy but I squash it down and smile at my brother and Daella. She grins back at me, eyes wide and pupils dilated.

"Aeris," She smiles turning to the flames and she gasps, her hands covering her mouth. "It's just like Dagen!"

"Dagen? Been sharing stories have we?" Alvaryn asks. And I shrug. I watch as she lifts her arms into the air grinning wildly at the fire dragon.

"Is she drunk?" I ask Alvaryn as he watches her warily. He nods. I can't help but grin at the idea of her being drunk and me completely sober.

"Helping her to the wine?" I laugh as she stands with her hands over her head and starts dancing, swaying to the music. Fae wine was definitely stronger than whatever piss water the humans drank.

"It wasn't me, I just found her. I need to tell you something, but not while you're monitoring the fire." He says, eyes still watching Daella with concern and anger written clearly on his face.

"Did something happen?" I ask quickly, turning to him. He looks at me with a serious expression.

"Dae just told me something, something I think you need to know. She hasn't been hurt."

Slight relief washes over me but I can tell whatever it is serious enough for Alvaryn to come find me now and not wait until tomorrow.

"Ok, just give me a minute. I'm sure father won't notice if I disappear for a moment." I say reaching out towards the dragon as it flies up straight above the flames, it's tale long and scaled as it turns and flies straight back into the fires centre, sparks flitter out and over the fae dancing and another cheer sounds.

"Daella, let's go for a walk?" I call out, walking towards her, taking her hand and threading her fingers through mine. She grins at me, her smile bright and happy.

"Are we going back to the tiny suns to dance?" She asks and I look back at Alvaryn who just lifts one shoulder.

"Sure, let's go back to the tiny suns." I smile.

Alvaryn is quick to follow behind us as I walk away from the bonfires, following the strings of lanterns and lit paths. There are fae no doubt trying to find a dark enough place to enjoy their solstice in the more carnal ways. Normally I would be one of those fae hiding away to find my own pleasure. How things have changed since this unexpected human girl came into our lives.

I hold onto Daella's hand tightly until we come to the gazebo. Lanterns light the ceiling, streamers and flowers decorate the arches.

"So, what did Daella tell you?" I ask letting go of her hand as she walks around the gazebo looking at the flowers and streamers.

"She told me that Varis has threatened her, that he told her he would kill her if she didn't conform."

I stop, checking on Daella as she looks up at the lanterns still smiling.

"Wait, Varis told Daella that he would kill her, for what?"

"I don't know exactly, she never talks to me about her lessons, but there has been times where I have found her, upset, beyond upset, terrified, saying she was being called inferior and useless after her lessons. You see how different she is from the other chosen, maybe not so much over the past week, especially when she is around others. She said she doesn't pretend when she is with us." He replies, eyes watching Daella as she moves around.

"There was that time I found her crying in the garden." I say softly, thinking of the hazy memory.

"When was that?" He asks, both of us checking on Daella.