Chapter 5

"Sorry, still no beer."

Maverick rolled his eyes with a smirk as he walked over to the table with his tray. Goose smiled as he sat down, happy that he's now in on the inside joke.

"When did you realize you wanted to be a naval aviator?"

Maverick was taken aback a bit at the question, especially as soon as he sat down, but shrugged it off and decided to spill.

There wasn't any reason to not tell him.

"I, uh," He gave a soft snort with another small smile. "I was out riding my bike around one evening, and it was by an air station," He leaned back in the chair and lifted his eyes to look at the ceiling, thoughts miles away as he retreated to his childhood. "Whenever an F-14 did a fly-by past a station. I saw him coming around so I hopped off my bike and ran up to the fence to watch him fly by again."

Goose nodded, watching Maverick's facial expression closely. He had never seen the guy filled with so much passion and joy, even in the short time he had known him.

"Gosh, I was so amazed by it," He gave a chuckle. "I had always wanted to be a naval aviator because of Dad, but seeing that was just the cherry on top." He gave another big grin, then looked back to Goose.

Goose gave him a smile, chuckling. "That's amazing." He said.

Maverick smiled again. "Yeah."

"Right. I'm sure that's how it all went down." A male voice called, walking up closer to their table.

Maverick wasn't amused.

Goose, on the other hand, furrowed his brows. He wondered if he had beef with him, or if something had happened between them to cause the sudden comment. But he had even more questions when Maverick didn't look phased, especially with the statement the male had said to him. He turned to look at the guy, then back to Maverick, hoping someone would soon tell the tale.

"It did. I saw it with my own eyes." Maverick replied bluntly.

Another male came up, probably the man's buddy. "No shit."

Goose almost snorted his drink out at that.

Maverick gave the guy a look, and now was the time for Goose to spit the little bit of water out.

Maverick sighed as he ran a hand down his face, "Goose."

"I'm sorry but that was your fault." He told Maverick as the two guys ended their laughter.

"Oh, wow, they stuck you with this guy?" The blond said, his friend still slumped on his shoulder as he laughed.

Something clicked inside of Maverick. Like a fire igniting. The flame caught onto line of gas, the lighter fluid makes it bigger. The spark was there. It burns inside of him. Even if Goose isn't bothered by the two of them, Maverick is. He has a big problem with it. He snaps. The breaking sound is audible. A building collapsing, tree limbs snapping. It all rains down. It builds up bigger and bigger. He sets his jaw, had enough. The words that cut through the air sharply draws a snapping look at Maverick from the two men,

"Yeah." He says boldly.

Goose looks up at him.

"I am stuck with him."

The other guy stands up from his friend's shoulder.

"And guess what? I wouldn't have it any other way. He's a much better RIO than you ever were." His eyes slide to look at the brunet.

Goose smiles. It stretches out even bigger with every word Maverick says.

"Look, we can't fault him for being the best pilot."