16. And I Suddenly Felt... Weird

Start from the beginning

I was trying not to bore Derek with the details, but he had finally ripped his focus away from his plate, to me, and he looked so engaged like I was reading off a script from a telenovela. Hell, it probably sounded like I was.

"Anyways, over time I became less of a person, and more of a possession to him. He liked the thought of being with me, but with how many important dates and dinners he missed, he couldn't actually like being with me. He might have told me he did, but the truth lives in one's own actions right? Not words." Something light flashed across Derek's face as he slowly nodded. "The breakup was messy because he's a possessive dickhead who definitely flipped board games over as a kid if he didn't win. At least I wasn't that bad."

Derek smiled. He was still slowly eating, but he was barely paying the chocolate cake any mind now. With a distraction that could pull Derek's attention away from cake, I almost felt pressured to continue.

"I don't really have much more to tell." I spoke honestly.

Derek's shoulders relaxed back a little, and I let out a light chuckle. I hadn't noticed he had been slowly leaning forward while listening. Fuck, he was just so-

"I keep a friend like Christian around because he's on the complete opposite side of the spectrum from Pierre." I explained. "Christian just doesn't give a flying fuck." That made Derek laugh before he took a sip of his water. "And I guess I land somewhere in the middle. I don't want to become my work like Pierre, but I also don't have the opportunity to do whatever I want like Christian. I value the weight my employees place on my shoulders... but hell I too want to stomp my work laptop out from time to time."

That made Derek's smile widen. I couldn't tell if it was me, or if he was much more generous with these smiles tonight.

-

Derek

"So you're telling me that you literally bolted down the isle barefoot in a peeling off mustache?" John asked between sharp breathes from his rich laughter

I was trying to contain the side pains from my own laughter. "No-" I inhaled, "I swear to god it was so worth the forever ban. And the arrest. I was glad I got to be apart of that moment for Alex and Christian."

John looked at me, grinning ear to ear just like myself... and I suddenly felt... weird.

Not like a bad sort of weird, just... just weird.

Like warm? I felt really warm, like someone needed to crack a window in here or something. Speaking of windows... my eyes turned back to the one besides us in hopes I could hide some of my suddenly flushed face. When his smile touched his eyes, and his dimples deepened...

"My deepest apologies for interrupting your dinner, Mr. Terry." Someone spoke suddenly beside us. "The restaurant is now closed, and though you are welcome to stay as long as you'd like, the kitchen staff must leave to return in a few hours for our next days preparations." The greeter explained to both me and John. I hadn't even noticed her walk up.