Chapter 2 - Florescence of Souls

(Image Credit: League of Legends: Wild Rift)

[A Sanctuary along a Forest's River]

Jingliu and Y/N walked through the forest and eventually encountered a Sanctuary. Jingliu slowed her pace down and looked over to her friend, following close behind "How well do you know Xianzhou culture and history?" She asked him while she crouched down to feel the water flowing down the river.

Y/N looked around them, the engraved pillars, the various paths, and the soil that housed petalless flowers. He averted his gaze back towards Jingliu, who still had her hand dipped down the flowing river.

"Not much, I suppose?" Y/N admitted sheepishly, accompanied by an awkward laugh. But he approached Jingliu and changed his tone to a defensive one. "Look, at least not whatever this place is."

Jingliu sighed and rose from her position, turning back to face Y/N. She raised her eyebrow and crossed her arms over her chest. "How can you call yourself a Cloud Knight, let alone a High-Cloud Quintet, if you don't even know what you're protecting?" She chuckled and brought his attention over to the petalless flowers. "These flowers only bloom every couple of centuries. When they do, they only last for that one day before wilting once again." Jingliu explained the tradition with a low and soothing voice. Combined with the environment and the way the moonlight shone against the river created a scene of serenity. Y/N looked back to Jingliu as she rose and faced him directly.

"The Florescence of Souls is a way for all of us to connect with our loved ones. Both long-life and short-life inhabitants partake in this rare opportunity to dip our toes into the spirit realm." Jingliu then turned around to face the scenery around them, appreciating the beauty even in its dormant state. "The flowers blooming and dying signifies that, whether or not you're a long-life or short-life species, life is ultimately impermanent." Jingliu then clasped her hands towards her chest. She stood up straight and cleared her throat. She turned back to Y/N and signaled to him that it's time to go. "We've been out for too long, let's head back before the others get worried."

Y/N walked with her by her side, giving one final look to the beautiful moonlit forest behind him. "That was quite the history lesson." He commented appreciatively and smiled in Jingliu's direction. She quickly flashed him a smile back, but ultimately focused on getting them back home. "There'll be many more to come... Don't worry~" She teased him in response. But for now, they'll just focus on the long road back home.

[The Entrance to the Sanctuary, Present Day]

The memories flash in Y/N's head as he walks through the Sanctuary, now filled with people celebrating the festivities. The contrast between the past and future was painful. Despite visiting when the flowers had yet to bloom and the area was gloomy, times were happier. Despite being surrounded by people and colors in the present, Y/N felt alone. Is being lonely while not alone not the bitter pain that stings the most?

Y/N traveled along the river in search of a quiet place to begin the remembrance of his friends. Eventually, he happened upon a vast and shallow portion of the river that appeared to glow. The shining moonlight had penetrated the forest's thick leaves and made way for a visually magical landscape. Y/N breathlessly took in the sight. He then thought to himself that he would rest halfway submerged in the water. Symbolically, he hoped this would help cleanse his sins and regrets as he paid respects to the fallen - to let the currents sweep away the burden he carried.

"The festivities are never celebrated alone." A raspy-elder voice called out, snapping Y/N out of his entranced state. He looked back to see a hunched-over elder slowly approach him with a cane and a large satchel filled with various items hung from his back. Y/N immediately approached to aid the elder and offered to take the satchel off him. "I know not much if I'm being honest." Y/N admitted sheepishly. Then, he gently set the satchel down by some rocks and helped the elder to sit and rest on the soil. The elder chuckled at his lack of knowledge of the Xianzhou culture. But, his good-natured attitude was willing to teach him regardless. After some more teasing, of course. "Are you not one of the 5 heroes famous in the Xianzhou? How could you not know?" The elder chuckled, eliciting a nervous chuckle and forced smile out of Y/N. He decided to immediately change the subject to get out of this awkward situation. "Well, the High-Cloud Quintets are long disbanded, elder. Actually, I came here to pay respects to my fallen comrades."