3. moody broody bodyguard

Start from the beginning

"I got this."

Spencer wanted to ask what the purpose of her even coming was, but when Beth made her shrug off her jacket, it made more sense. Because of everything that had happened, Spencer had taken to carrying her gun in a shoulder holster when she wasn't on the ranch or with the kids. It made her feel better, but she knew it was adding to her stress, having the weapon so close to her. But she couldn't find another way to get around it yet, so she was learning to deal with it. And with her badge displayed, no one really said anything about it.

And so she watched as Beth did her political bullshit, turning over her shoulder for a moment to Spencer to wave which Spencer reciprocated. She chuckled lightly at the flash of recognition that crossed Roarke's face, but she was impressed with how calm he seemed to stay. Granted the massive blunt in his hand may have had something to do with it.

She was surprised to see the man honestly, knowing he had pulled a similar disappearing act to Beth's all those years ago. But his had seemed to stick more, at least until recently. It seemed everyone and their mother was coming back to the valley, doing their best to stake claim to land that belonged to no one but her father. It belongs to you now, Spencer reminded herself as Beth stomped back to the car. Whatever had transpired had clearly not gone Beth's way, the poor flowers Spencer had admired on the way in paying the price for the older Dutton's new foul mood.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Spencer had never been so happy to see the ranch in her entire life. If she had thought Beth's driving was reckless before, the shit she pulled on the drive home was something else. She wasn't sure if a drink would calm her stomach or send it up her throat.

"You alright there Spencer? You're looking a little green," Ryan hollered and chuckled with Colby from the side of the arena. Spencer merely flipped him off, stomping her way over to Rip and Lloyd.

"Remind me to never get in a car with Beth again," Spencer swore as she forced the contents of her stomach to stay down.

"That bad?" Rip chuckled as he pulled Spencer closer to him.

"I swear she thinks she's a fucking Nascar driver," she chuckled. "Or that car is way too close to the ground. How's the job fair going?"

"Only one we like so far is pink hair down at the end," Lloyd offered, nodding his head in the direction of the pink-haired woman who was currently mouthing off to her roping partner. "But I can't understand a word she's saying."

"Hey, Pinkie!" Spencer hollered, gaining the attention of the entire ranch as she stepped on the fence. She nodded as the woman pointed to herself. "Get your ass over here please!"

Rip and Lloyd shared a look of concern as the rest of the hands looked like they were about to place bets on a wrestling match.

"What's your name?" Lloyd asked once the woman was close enough.

She mumbled Teeter, at least to the boys that's what it sounded like. Spencer chuckled as they continued to ask what her name was, agitating Teeter more and more.

"You fuckheads, she's Texan," Spencer whispered as she sat on the top of the fence. "How many of these idiots have you out roped today?"

Teeter scoffed, "All 'em."

Spencer smirked, "Good. You out rope me, consider the position yours."

Teeter's grin rose to meet Spencer's, her head bobbing in acceptance as Spencer hopped the fence and grabbed a horse. It may have been a minute since she roped, but she had been doing this since she could walk. And it helped that most of the people here thought she was just a hand.