Surgery

2 months later

I mean, seriously, don't be fooled by all the hot shoes and the great sex and the no parents anywhere telling you to do. Adulthood is a responsibility.

"Robert let's go Come on you're going to be late," I said knocking on the bathroom door for the fith time that minute "Come on," I said growing impatient.

"Get out of the bathroom now Stella before I nock the door down" Rachel screamed at a 6-year-old Stella "Stella Lee get out here or I'll slap your ass so hard you won't walk for a week" The front door slammed shut and in walked a middle-aged man soaked from head to toe in rain "Rachel honey, stop scaring the kid," a younger version of Dr. Cho Lee said glaring at his wife "Don't or I'll get you too," Rachel said holding up a bottle of Stella beer to her lips "And trust me your pretty face won't be pretty, Stella open the door," the women said with her blonde matted hair sticking in clumps around her head, she brang up her bony fingers stained yellow from the cigarettes she had smoked "Rachel leave our daughter alone," Cho said trying to calm his wife down "You have no say in this you cheating bitch" she said throwing the glass bottle above the man's head which shattered into shards on the floor. A scream was sounded from the bathroom "Leave now!"

"It was eventful getting him out of the door," I said as Callie drove us into the parking lot of the hospital "I'll see you later," I said hugging the woman and leaving to go find what horrible things the world had in store for me today. Responsibility does really suck ass.

"Izzie, we said the list was jocks only. Surgery, Trauma, Plastics. Who else?" Cristina asked the blonde "Just some people from Peds" I rolled my eyes "They really don't know how to behave do they?" I said sitting down next to George "You invited the preschoolers to Meredith's house. The next thing you'll say is you invited the shrinks" Cristina said in a joking manner "No" I said getting interested "She invited mental defects. This party's D.O.A." I giggled a little "You know, Meredith thinks this is just going to be a little, small, meet-your-boyfriend cocktail thing. Did you clear this with her?" I widened my eyes "I can't believe you going" I said giving George a judgy look "No, but I will." She paused before saying "I promise." "Why are you wasting the only weekend your boyfriend is in town on a big party? Is he bad in bed?" Cristina asked "No. I just want him to meet some of my friends" I snickered "Right. Sixty geeks in scrubs are your friends." Izzy's pager goes off and she gets up and leaves "Bad sex, sucks for you." I shook my head "I for one am not your friend" I said standing up "I heard there was a party tonight at Meredith's house." Alex said walking in "Oh really, party?" "Uh, news to me." I rolled my eyes and left the gallery.

"Incoming trauma two minutes out," Bailey said giving me a trauma gown "Karev and Roberts with me" she ordered going to the front to wait for the incoming ambulance "Do we have any information?" I asked trying my gown "No nothing" The sirens were heard in the distance "Karev concentrate" Bailey said towards the man who was staring at something "Patient pronounced dead on the scene we need someone to call it" the paramedic said handing us a chart "time of death" Bailey sighed "12:22" I looked at the body and then to the paramedic "Clear the way we got another one coming in!" Callie said running out "Bailey, can I take Roberts?" "Yeah, take her come on Karev" I smiled at Callie "What we got?" "32-year-old male fell off his roof, an open Femur and broken ribs" "Awesome," I said smiling "No- not awesome he could lose his leg," She said glaring at me "And we will do everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen," she said softening her glaze "Male 32 fell from the roof of his two-story house, open femur fracture and broken ribs, head and neck injuries" I looked at the patient "when did the patient lose consciousness?" I asked "Two minutes ago, up until then he was conscious and talking" "And you still wasted time taking the long route," I said looking at Callie "Page neuro and get him up to CT," I said looking at Callie "Sorry, I'm the intern," I said smiling at her like a toddler "No go ahead, your the one learning and everything you've said so far you've done right" I nodded at her "You heard her up to CT," Callie said shouting.

By the time we had got up to CT the neuro attending Derek Shepherd was already there "Hello Doctor Torres, Doctor Roberts" He said smiling "I'm just waiting for the scans to show up" As he said this the scans appeared "Roberts what is that?" Derek said pointing to the scan "Shit, he has a subdural hematoma" I said looking at the scan "What do we do?" "A Craniotomy, it's a better course of treatment for this stage" He nodded "Torres book an OR, you can fix his leg, Robets How would I do a Craniotomy?" I pictured the books in my mind "You create a temporary flap in the skull then the hematoma is removed by using suction and irrigation where it's washed away with fluid" "I'm impressed, Why am I not doing Burr holes?" "Burr holes are more of a main treatment for Subdural Hematomas that develop a few days or weeks after the head trauma," I said picturing my dad going through every Neuro procedure. "Well done, Would you like to scrub in" My eyes widened "Yes, but isn't this a bit advanced for an Intern?" I asked "Normally yes, but you can help me," He said smiling "I'll see you in the OR Doctor Shepard," I said rushing out of the room.

"George, Shepard is letting me scrub in on a subdural hematoma," I said jumping up and down "That's amazing Stell," he said hugging me "I'm so proud of you, you're first surgery," He said letting go of the hug "Go blow some brains," He said smiling "Oh, don't do that" he said his smile dropping "Wasn't planing to" I said laughing walking towards the scrub room.

"Hey," I said seeing Callie scrubbing in aswel "Hey," She said smiling at me "My place tonight," I said scrubbing "I'll bring the alcohol," she said laughing "Doctor Torres, I hope you don't mind but Cheif Webber wants to observe this surgery" She nodded "That's fine" she said finishing "Roberts" Shepherd nodded "I'm surprised how much you know for an intern" he said "Well, the more you know" I said finishing scrubbing in and walking in. A scrub nurse came over and put a surgical gown on me "Thank you" I said holding out my hands and waiting for gloves which were the next thing to be put on "Don't forget you're phone" The scrub nurse said taking it out of my pocket and placing it with the other phones on a tray. "Thank you," I said again "No worries Doctor Roberts," The nurse said standing and waiting for instructions. Derek walked in "It's a beautiful day to save lives people, cranial drill" Derek said holding his hand out "I am starting the" my phone started vibrating "Doctor Webber do you mind?" Derek asked "On loud speak" "Stella Lee" I heard my dad say. I saw Derek and Callie look at me "There's an opening downstairs for a surgical internship, I've put you forward for the position" I rolled my eyes "Can you see it?" I asked Derek "It's right here," he said showing me "Cheif Cho, Stella is doing surgery right now, but-" "Ah, Cheif Webber, what is she doing?" I heard my dad ask "She's doing a subdural hematoma with Derek Shepherd" "She doing well?" "Suction," Derek said as I moved the suction to where he needed it "I'm alright here thank you, Doctor Lee," I said looking at the monitors "Doctor Robert, I need-" "Doctor Roberts?!" I heard my dad scream "Stella, he best not be talking to you" "The brains not getting enough oxygen, Richard, sort him out" I said helping Derek and watching him walk out with my phone. "The swellings stabilized" "You alright?" Callie asked, "Yeah, we finished?" I asked "Yeah" I ran out and caught up with Richard "Here he wants to talk to you" "Daddy, I-" "I understand why you changed your name to your mum's name, but she has still done some horrible stuff, Stell, you can stay there I'll see you for Christmas sweetie" I nodded and ended the call

"We are going to need a lot of Alcohol," Callie said pulling me into a hug "A bit more than a lot"