Day 1

I arrived at the best teaching hospital in Seattle for the beginning of my internship and a different name, before I was Stella Lee but now Stella Roberts, my mum's maiden name. New name, new job fresh start. "I'm ready for this" I whispered to my self before walking into get my name tag and sign in.

"Stella Roberts" I said smiling to the nurse behind the desk "Here you are, the locker room are on the third floor I just need you to sign this" I nodded and walked over to get a pen. "So your a Roberts now?" I heard a voice speak "Yeah, leaving the Lee behind Richard" I said signing the last bit of paper work "You need anything you speak to me" he said "Oh yeah the intern going to the chief who happens to be his god child what if that got out" I whisper shouted "Besides" I said handing over the paperwork "I got this" I went off walking to the left "Wrong way" I turned back around "Like I said I got this" I said passing Richard again.

"Each of you comes here hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you." The doctor said to us in the changing rooms.

I looked around at the other interns "Hey I'm Doctor O'Malley you are?" The boy asked me "Busy, you got Bailey?" He nodded "The Nazi" "Okay. Martin, Robinson, Bond, Parkins" four of the interns walked out " Only seven women out of twenty one" " Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, like that's going to help with the respect thing?" I rolled my eyes not even been in the job for an hour and people already gossiping. I looked around for George who had gone over to the two girls "You got the Nazi? So did we" he said pointing to me. I put my face in my hands and turned away. "At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley, uh, we met at the mixer, you had a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals..." Oh my god, he likes the girl "Now you think I'm gay" I smiled and shook my head and went on to tie my shoes

Not even two minutes later my name was called "O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Stevens and Roberts" The voice of Miranda Bailey called out "And I am totally forgetable" George said walking towards the others "Hey don't worry I won't forget you" he smiled as we walked to the others "I thought the Nazi would be a guy" I hit his arm "Shh" "I thought the Nazi would be... The Nazi" The girl from earlier said. "Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her Nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice." The blonde girl said. She's the model. I thought " Let me guess. You're the model" one of them said, the blonde glared at her and stuck her hand out for Bailey to shake. I snorted a little and got a starte from George and the Brown haired girl. "Hi, I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie." The other two girls must be Yang and Grey.
Bailey looked Stevens up and down and ignored the hand "I have five rules. Memorize them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you, that's not gonna change." I grabbed my pager and clip board and Bailey signalled for the others to do the same "Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers. Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run, that's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts forty-eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain, you run labs, write orders, work every second night till you drop and don't complain!" She opens the door with beds. On call rooms. "On call rooms. Attending's hog them, sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three, if I'm sleeping, don't wake me, unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there, not only would you have killed someone, you would have also woke me for no good reason, we clear?" I nodded and the brown haired girl raised her hand "Yes" Bailey said unimpressed "You said five rules. That was only four." Then Bailey's pager beeps "Rule number five. When I move, you move." She runs down the corridor with me and the rest following her. She shouts at some of the doctors in her way "Get out of my way!" She shouted again. This is exciting, exactly everything I wanted.

We reached the roof of the hospital with a helicopter landing with a girl on a stretcher being rolled out "Breathe" I said reminding my self before joining the others "What we got?" She asked "Katie Bryce, fifteen-year-old female, new onset seizures, intermittent for the past week, ID lost en route, started grand mal seizing as we descended." I took a few notes "All right, get her on her side, Izzie, ten milligrams Diazepam," Izzie walked over and went to inject her before Bailey stopped her "no, no, the white lead is on the right, righty whitey, smoke over fire, a large bore I.V. don't let the blood hemolyze, let's go!" Izzie injects the girl and she stops seizing. A different doctor came and joined us "So I heard we got a wet fish on dry land?" "Absolutely Dr. Burke." I smiled at the doctor who turned around and he smiled back "Dr. Bailey, I'm gonna shotgun her" that means everything "That means every test in the book, CT, CBC, chem. seven, a tox screen, Cristina, you're on labs, George, patient workups, Meredith, get Katie for a CT, she's your responsibility now." That left me and Stevens. "Wait, what about me?" I rolled my eyes at her obliviousness"You honey get to do rectal exams" I squeezed my lips together "And you Stella are with me" I nodded and followed Bailey.

"How am I?" Bailey asked walking into an office "You aint fooling me, but you got me calling you Bailey so it worked" she smiled we got Katie Bryce's results back you want to have a look." I nodded. I looked through every piece of information but there was nothing. "She's fine?" I said "What?" Bailey asked looking for her self. "Ok Hun go find George and work with him, I got to go to a surgery anyway" I nodded and walked around the hospital.