Bad Day part one

"Robert!" I yelled slamming my front door smelling the stench of stale cigarettes and Alcohol. "Robert?!" I yelled again walking forward and stepping on something squishy. He's definitely here. I sighed looking in the living room. I walked over to the small body lying on my sofa "Robert" I said shaking the 11-year-old up "What happened?" I asked noticing he was coming around "What's happened look at the state of you" I said inspecting his face "Mom put me on a plane and told me to never come back" he said lying on my lap "Oh" I said "And why's that?" I asked "Her new husband" I nodded "He's not very nice and he was mean," Robert said "Alright, you go get washed and find some clothes, you can stay here tonight. I'll try and get hold of Mom, or Dad alright, and for god sake what is that god-awful smell" I said helping him up "That's the husband" he said running up the stairs "Don't use all the hot water" I said following him up "I won't!" He shouted through the door. I smiled and walked back down. "Hey Mom," I said sighing noticing she hadn't picked up again "It's me Stell please call me back as soon as you get this, it's important," I said moving to the kitchen and pouring myself a drink. I pinched my nose bridge. I had just completed my first day and now I had to look after an 11-year-old boy. I dialed my Dad's number "Hey Daddy" I said seeing him pick up "Hey princess what is it, did your first day go well?" "It went good Daddy, but, I um Uhm, it's Robert" "Yes, what about him?" He asked getting impatient "Mom put him on a plane and sent him to me, I was wondering if you could look after him, it would-" "Look princess, I understand that you want to live, but I'm busy with work and if your Mom doesn't want him that's her problem, can you handle looking after him?" He asked "N-" "Thank you Sweetheart" he hung up and I took a sip of my drink. "Dad doesn't want me?" Robert said with a tear rolling down his face "No, it's not that" I said hugging him "He's just busy, but hey, you get to live with your cooler older sister" I said, "Now get to bed, you can use mine until I get a bed to put in the spare room, you need to stay here tomorrow, can you do that?" He nodded "Good, I'll try and enroll you in school tomorrow, I might not see you in the morning," I said tucking him in "But sweet dreams," I said tucking him in.

Then the most important line. The line separating you from the people you work with. It doesn't help to get too familiar. To make friends. You need boundaries between you and the rest of the world.

"I do want roommates, we're together a hundred hours a week, you want to live together too?" I hear Meredith complaining to Izzie "Honestly grow up" I said walking past them both of them and towards Bailey "Guys" I said motioning them over "George, you're running the code team, Meredith, take the trauma patients, Cristina, deliver the weekend labs to the patients, Izzie, you're on sutures. And Roberts skills lab" she ordered "Dr Bailey. I was hoping to assist you in the OR today, maybe do a minor procedure? I think I'm ready. Mocha latte?" Meredith said handing the drink to Bailey "You're not ready" I said walking off to the skills lab.

"Dr. Roberts" I looked up "Well done" I nodded and looked back down to concentrate on the sutures. "That's enough for today" The doctor patted me on the back. I nodded and walked to have my lunch. "You alright George?" I asked sitting down next to him "Do you know what the code team does? Saves lives. I shock a heart and then someone lives to see another day. It's upbeat. It's glass half full." He said to me and Yang who just sat down "Bambi, don't say another word until after the hunter shoots your mother." I looked up confused and took another bite of my sandwich "I don't like you." George said towards her "Well, I have a B.A. from Smith, a Ph. D from Berkeley, and an MD from Stanford and I'm delivering lab results. It's going to take me all day to get through these." I rolled my eyes "Stop complaining and get to it then" I said picking up my phone "Hello?" I asked "No Robert I'm at work, there's- food in the fridge, don't open the door, no, don-, you know what just order a Pizza," I said hanging the phone up "By George," I said going to the front desk

"Did you just call me an ovarian si- an ovarian - since when has the possession of ovaries become an insult?" I walked forward "Since Karev got out on Bailey's service apparently," I said violently writing my email "Meredith's carrying around a penis in a jar" I nodded "Cool" and went back to typing, where did the others go?" I asked Karev. "Have no clue" he said smirking at me "Ewe gross" I said cracking my knuckles "You know if you didn't have such a mouth you would be nice" Alex said "Are you trying to flirt with me?" I asked standing next to me "You just tried to flirt with me" I said putting my hands on his chest "You just entered the long game" I said going in to kiss him "Eyes up here" I said "Never going to happen" I said walking away towards where Stevens was working.

"Because I grew up in Beverley Hills. The only Chinese I know is from Mr. Chow's menu. Besides, I'm Korean, try Roberts she looks Asian" She said leaving " Izzie turned towards me "That's just racist," I said slamming my files on my desk "And why would I want to help someone who, just agh" I said leaving and storming around the hospital. It's just too much. I went into the locker room and punched the locker again and again. I heard the crunch and looked down at my hands "Shit" I said realizing what I had done. "Everything alright in here?" Bailey said walking in "Yeah" I said hiding my hand behind my back "You sure look like you've been crying "Yeah, just getting a change of clothes" She didn't believe me "Mh, come with me" I widened my eyes "What have I done?" I asked "Nothing," she said "Sort it out," she said leading me into the elevator. I told her about my brother coming to live with me

"What the, where did the blood come from?" She asked inspecting my hand "Stella you silly girl" she said touching my knuckle. I winced and snatched it back "It's nothing," I said wincing again as I moved my hand too fast "Come on," she said releasing the elevator "We're going to Ortho, you silly girl," she said shaking her head "Hey, Bailey, I wasn't expecting you down here" a pretty doctor said turning towards us "Sorry, I should've Paged you Dr. Torres, I should've paged you" I rolled my eyes "Can we have a quick consult?" She nodded "Yeah sure what happened?" She asked leading us into a room. "She got into a fight with a locker" I rolled my eyes again "May I see?" I held my breath. As much as I am a doctor always going to one scared me. I slowly gave her my hand. "Can you move your fingers" I nodded moving them slightly put closing my eyes from the pain "All right, I'm gonna have to get an ex-ray for the hand, not much I can do if they are broken" she said smiling "Fist day?" She asked "No, my second actually" she nodded"At least you made it through the first day," she said walking with me and Bailey to the elevator "Bailey, you should go," I said seeing her look at her pager. She looked unsure but in the end, decided to go.

"Just keep your hand still and I'll let you know what I see," Torres said as she adjusted the Ex ray machine "Alright, it doesn't seem too bad you got a few broken bones, with a couple of weeks in a splint and few sutures for your cut your good to go," she said helping me up "Thank you-" "Callie and you" I smiled "Stella," I said giving her my right hand to shake "Alright Stella, no surgery's for you for I say about a month, month and a half most," she said walking me into stitch up one of the deeper cuts in my hand "I don't bite," she said sitting me down "I know someone who does though" I muttered, "Hey, what you doing after work?" Callie asked trying to get my mind off of things "Not much, eat some leftover pizza and babysit" Callie looked up at me "Boring! You should totes come out with me after work, don't worry I'm not asking you out, yet" she winked at me "I just wanna have a friend that isn't" she motioned her eyes towards the older resident "I'll go out with you for sure" I said "But you might have to come to my place, I can't leave my brother alone for too long" she smiled "I'll think about it, oh and we can talk about the men we find fit in the horror movies" she said "Yeah and then binge drink wine to the movie" she nodded "Im so in" she said placing down the suture kit "Done, I'll come to find you after my shift" I nodded "Thanks by the way" I said pointing towards my hand Witch was now stitched up in a splint ready for me to go back to work "No problem Stella any time"