Chapter 18: Excitatio

The dark blanket of sleep was welcoming, and tempting, and I crossed the line between waking and sleeping many times before consciousness returned to me slowly

The dark blanket of sleep was welcoming, and tempting, and I crossed the line between waking and sleeping many times before consciousness returned to me slowly. I felt well-rested and free of stress for the first time in ages, and I rested until I knew no more sleep would be happening.

However, the first thing my half-asleep mind registered was the unfamiliar feeling of the bed I was laying on. It was most definitely not my bed. Sunlight shone on my closed eyes, and I heard the hum of what was probably air conditioning. The sound of the occasional car passing outside reached my ears, and the way the darkness behind my eyes lightened when they passed made me imagine the sunlight bouncing off their windshields. A sense of nostalgia and peace overwhelmed everything, and I snuggled back into the blankets, my arms wrapping around a pillow.

This was not my home in Washington state. But it was so familiar, it was like I'd lived here my whole life . I wracked my brains for a name to put to this location.

Ah, that was it. There was only one place on Earth this could be.

My family friend's beach house in Cape Cod. We'd spend a few days there occasionally, and there was nothing in the world like waking up to the view of the dunes of sand and beach grass, seagulls shrieking in the distance, and the occasional car passing by. A small smile spread across my face as I remembered the exact way the sun shone through the windows so vividly, it was like I was there.

Because I was, wasn't I? Where else on Earth could I be?

Something told me I wasn't. Something told me not to open my eyes, that I wouldn't like what I saw. The feeling of peace and nostalgia remained, as long as the truth hovered at the very edge of my mind. Not yet, I thought. I'm not ready. I don't want to wake up yet.

I want to go home...

I buried my face in my pillows, the true meaning of despair evident, and groaned in annoyance. It was probably time to open my eyes. I flopped onto my back and let my eyes drift open. Sunlight streamed through the windows, making me squint, and I heaved myself into a sitting position.

Through bleary eyes, I finally saw the room around me, and the horizon through the gaping windows. Not Cape Cod, unfortunately. Goddamn. Instead, I was in a room in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant .

The skyline of Coruscant seemed much less glittery and glorious in the daylight. It was still magnificent, but... it seemed smaller, duller, sadder. I groaned again. "Eeeeeeverything's hoooorrible," I groaned in a sing-song voice. "Eeeeeeverything suckssssss. Whyyyy do I feeeeeel baaaaaaaad."

My brain woke up, and as it did, I remembered... everything. The Council, the Temple, the Venator... Earth. The air force base. Lula. The nukes. Oh, ... no.

No, no, no... my eyes unfocused as I stared blankly into space.

This isn't right. This has to be a dream I want to go home I want to go home . I buried my face in my arms, devastation crushing me. It's all gone. Everything. I am the last Earthling left. I'm... an endling. My lip wobbled a little as I shoved my face into my pillows. This isn't right this isn't right this isn't right. We're humans, we're supposed to be invincible, to overcome all odds, to adapt. That's what we are.