17.

As the door pushed open, the wind chime jingled. My nose was overwhelmed with the aroma of freshly ground coffee. At the sight of her, at the sight of Nyx, a smile crept across my lips. Her back was to me as she sat on a table, covering the person in front of her.

You've got this! I reassured myself as I stood for a second, my hands fumbling over how to take the first step in my friendship.

I smiled sheepishly as I took a few steps forward, running a rough hand through my hair. As the figure in front of her drew closer to my view, I kept my foot planted.

He was a young man, possibly my age.

His hands reached out and absorbed Nyx's small fingers, which she did not object to. My silly smile vanished as the guy appeared to be soothing her, which was something I wanted to do.
As she spoke to this boy, I noticed a smile on her face that I didn't recognise, a reluctant smile. I walked back to the door, nearly immediately reversing my actions of stepping forward. I grasped the chilly thin phone in my grip and drew it out, dialling the number I was all too familiar with. I noticed her gazing at her phone through the glass window and ignored the call. My heart clenched as I saw this, but was I overreacting?

I called once more. Ignore. Once again.
And respond.

"Hello, Nyx! Are you busy love?" I pretended to be cheerful.

"Yea- um. I am, in fact, working. Sorry.
Uh. It's a busy day today; may I call you later, please?" She scratched her brow, and the falsehood was obviously audible in her voice.

"Yes. Yes. You certainly can." I hung up the phone before she could respond. My face heated with rage as I dashed back to my car. Was I overreacting?

I began driving back home, always wondering about her and him, who was he?

My curiosity about who he was piqued, and before I knew it, I had turned my car from the next light back to the coffee shop path.

The wind chime jingled again, and the coffee smell flooded my nose, but this time it didn't make me happy.

The table was empty, another girl was serving at the counter, and Nyx and the guy were nowhere to be found.

There wasn't much left to the day, and I didn't notice as the sun began to set behind the orange and pink misty clouds.

The next two days flew by in the blink of an eye, with no contact from Nyx. I didn't know why, but I felt irritated at her for having her hands held by someone other than myself. She didn't consider me a friend, and I wanted to change that. I even found myself swinging between what I genuinely desired at times. Did I want her to fall for the Angel she called or the Damon she met? What was it that I desired? I hadn't considered a girl like this in a long time; Nyx was the first in many years, and I knew I had to make her mine; I simply didn't know how. Whether it was the travelling young Irish kid she wanted to call, or the Irish boy, 1/5 of the world famous businessman she cleaned the house for.

Today was Nyx's second day, and I had to make a decision for my friendship and our friendship.

The doorbell rang, and before I knew it, I was sprinting to the door and opening it. As I inhaled deeply, the scent of fresh berries crushed together with a tinge of vanilla tickled my nostrils.

"Hmmmmmm... Wow!" I took a deep breath and squeezed my eyes shut.

When my eyelids peeled open, I realised how weird I appeared. "Hello Nyx!" I said, quickly relaxing all my muscles. It's wonderful to see you again!"

"Hi! "Nice to see you as well," she said, adjusting her black and polka dot dress.
"Welcome in!"

She just stood there looking at me. My smile faded as I shrugged, wondering if she was coming inside or not.