Signals: Part 2

Honestly, Winter had wanted to kiss Karina for ages, but this best friend-turned-lovers thing was new to the both of them and the timing just seemed off. Were they supposed to talk about it, or wait to have it at the right time?

What could possibly be the right time?

They were both hardly romantic. Knowing each other for that long, they probably skipped a few steps in dating, but Winter was sure she was smitten with her best friend. How could she not be? Karina knew the way to Winter's heart like it was her own.

She had been under the weather for the past day since she came back from her family's trip to Jeju, so she had not physically seen Karina for almost a week now. The older girl had been texting and calling her, of course, but it didn't feel the same. Winter was lying in bed, feeling her cold worsen again, and pouted. She just wanted to get better so that she could see her girlfriend.

As if Karina knew she was thinking about her, Winter's phone rang. She smiled a little, she guessed hearing her voice was better than nothing.

"Hey, I miss you," Winter said softly as soon as she picked up the phone, a little upset that her voice sounded hoarse.

There was a no response, confusing her and she was about to remove her phone from her ear to check if the call was connected when suddenly, Karina replied.

"Yeah, you know what, I'm coming over. See you," was all she said before hanging up, leaving Winter surprised at the abruptness.

She got up from bed to take her medications before climbing back into her bed, hoping the medication would kick in before Karina arrived.

Winter was just staring at the ceiling, waiting for her best-slash-girlfriend to come over, and thinking about how their relationship had changed in some ways and how some things had stayed the same. Karina felt like home to Winter, safe and warm. She had always felt that way around her, but the happy flutters in her chest was new, and the way Karina made her heart pound often was something she was still getting used to too.

She smiled a little, finding it amusing. Her bedroom door creaked open and she looked to find Karina looking at her quizzically as she closed the door behind her and making a beeline towards Winter's bed.

She felt her smile grow and her heart swell with pure affection as Karina climbed into bed and hovered over her.

"Hi," Winter greeted, grinning now.

Karina let out a soft exhale, a small smile graced that beautiful face, before giving Winter a soft kiss on her nose. She lowered herself down, half laying on Winter, and fitted her head under Winter's chin. "Hi, baby," she replied, her voice low. "I missed you too. Have you taken your medication?"

Winter felt her heart flutter at the new pet name.

"M-hm, just now," she told her, her voice cracked slightly and she cleared her throat. "You should go, you're going to get sick too."

She meant it, but she was happy Karina had dropped by. Her arm had gone around Karina, rubbing her back, hoping it would give her enough comfort till the next time they see each other— probably in two days at most, hopefully.

"No," her stubborn girlfriend retorted. "You can't make me."

She nudged Karina's shoulder gently, to prompt her to get up. "Please?"

There was no reply for a while and Winter nudged her shoulder again, before Karina firmly stated another, "No."

That refusal made Winter laugh a little. She knew she couldn't convince her now, she knew that tone and if she insisted, it would upset Karina and that was really the last thing she wanted. She did really miss her too, she wasn't going to just throw her out.