Thirty

( trigger warning for charlie's eating disorder and self harm! )

HE'S NOT GOING TO GET BETTER, IS HE?

[ 2.08 ]

"I can't believe you left before they announced prom queen!"

"I'm sorry!" Venus whined as she laid on the couch. Everyone was in Nick's kitchen playing cup pong while Venus was on the phone with Imogen. She had sent the girl a text to ensure she didn't miss out but Imogen was happy to hang back with Sahar, Aleena and Jay. "Please tell me I won."

"Of course you did," Imogen giggled, "Mr. Farouk accepted the crown on your behalf. I'm pretty sure Mr. Ajayi was holding Ms. Singh back so she couldn't."

Venus laughed, "Who was prom king?"

"Shawn," Imogen smiled, "But according to Mr. Lange, Nick was a close second. I think they didn't give it to him because of that show you two put on after the band played."

"That was all him!" Venus told her, "I swear."

"I believe you," Imogen smiled, "Hey... weird question but do you know if Sahar's coming on the beach trip with us next week?"

"I think so," Venus rolled onto her stomach, glancing down at her perfectly painted nails, "Why?"

"Uh, I might hitch a ride with her," Imogen said quickly, "I'll let you get back to your friends."

"Okay," Venus giggled, "Bye. Love you."

"Love you too, Vee," Imogen said before hanging up.

Venus got off the couch and joined her friends in the kitchen. Despite how much she wished she got to hang around the prom a little longer, she wouldn't let it dim her mood as she hung out with everyone. Especially not when Nick wrapped his arms around her from behind and pressed sweet kisses to her cheek.

Her night was filled with lots of chatting, dancing and games. Her and Nick stayed close for most of the night, sharing lots of sweet kisses and murmuring quiet 'I love you' to each other. She had never felt so happy in her life and never wanted her night to end. She was wearing a pretty dress, performed her first real gig with her band and had the best boyfriend who she could finally say she loved out loud.

As it got later, the group all settled down and chatted to each other. Venus was sat on the kitchen floor by herself, eating out of the tub of ice cream that Tao called dibs on. She froze as someone entered the kitchen but smiled as she saw it was only Charlie.

"Hi Honey," Venus said quietly as he slid into the spot beside her.

"Hi Vee," he murmured. He took the spoon she offered and scooped a small bit of ice cream onto it. He sighed before putting it into his mouth and handing the spoon back to her. "Why are you in here?"