Chapter Eighteen

HE NEVER MENTIONED YOU WERE COMING OVER

DO YOU TELL HIM EVERYTHING THAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO IN THE DAY?

[2.02]

Parent teacher interviews were something Venus hated. Every year she sat on the edge of the gym, staring at all her peers while waiting for Charlie's parents to wrap up their interviews with Charlie before moving onto her. Her own mother had never once turned up for an interview, despite Venus leaving a note on the fridge every year. No matter what sort of praise her teachers gave her, it was never enough to make her feel okay about how little her mother cared for her.

"Venus," a voice spoke kindly.

She looked up, seeing Nick and Sarah standing above her. She gave them her best smile, feeling a little embarrassed to be sitting and waiting all alone.

"Hey," she said softly.

"Where's your mum?" Sarah asked, "I'd love to have a chat with her. Tell her what a gorgeous girl she's got."

"Mum," Nick elbowed her, giving a look.

"She's not here," Venus told her, "Charlie's parents sit through these interviews with me. It's their favourite time of year apart from report card day. Mine's the only one that lives on their fridge."

"I'm so sorry," Sarah said, "I had no idea. I shouldn't have asked."

"It's whatever. Charlie's parents have always been there so I'm alright," she smiled, "How'd Nick go? Anyone have anything bad to say?"

"That's none of your business," Nick grinned, sitting down beside the girl, "I am very delightful in class."

"His science teacher mentioned that he gets easily distracted," Sarah smiled, "I can't imagine what's distracting him though."

"I have no idea," Venus shrugged her shoulders, "Probably some pretty girl who doesn't give him the time of day."

"Wow," Nick shook his head with a smile, "Well, we should get going but I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah," she smiled, "I'll tell you all about my five star ratings."

Nick smiled before standing up, leaning towards his mum, "I've got a superstar girlfriend."

"Bye, Venus. Come by soon," Sarah smiled, giving her a small wave before her and Nick disappeared.

Venus let out a deep sigh, looking back down at her phone. It wasn't long until the Spring parents would have to make their rounds again, but her interviews were generally a lot shorter than Charlie's. She scanned the room, spotting some of her friends getting their interviews as well as some other people from classes she shared. She felt very tired, getting barely any sleep from the night before. Venus began to pinch at her leg, doing her best to keep her eyes open and alert.