"Vee!"

She turned her head to where Charlie had called her name. He looked a bit disheartened so she had a feeling he hadn't gotten his normal good news. He approached her before his parents could reach her, giving her a hug.

"Please be a superstar, my parents are so annoyed with me," Charlie whispered.

"I'll do my best," she assured him. She turned to his parents, a tired smile on her face. "Ms Singh wants to talk to us first."

"Venus?"

There it was. The last voice she expected to hear today. The brunette froze in her spot, but by the looks on Charlie's parents faces, she knew exactly who was standing behind her. The girl felt stuck, unable to bring herself to even turn around to face her mother.

"Jane and Julio!" Ms Singh called out happily, "Great to see you again! Want to come take a seat over here for me and we can get started?"

"Um, actually, I am Venus' mother," Lucy cut in, stepping forward and holding out her hand, "Lucy King."

Ms Singh blinked, her eyes flickering between the two girls. They were practically the same person just different ages. They had the same hair, same eyes, same nose. It was like seeing double. Ms. Singh hadn't expected to meet Venus' actual mother as she was used to doing everything with the Spring parents.

"Right, of course," Ms. Singh spoke, "How great that you could join us today."

"Yeah," Julio crossed his arms over his chest, a dark gaze set on the woman, "I'm surprised you even showed up. When was the last time you came to one of these again?"

"I'm here now," Lucy narrowed her eyes at him, "Shall we start?"

"Is it possible for us to still sit in for VeeVee?" Jane asked Ms. Singh.

The teacher turned to Venus, who was staring at her mother blankly, not even moving from her spot. She looked lost, like whatever she had been thinking about was just wiped from her mind. She let out a shaky breath, turning to the teacher. With everything she could, she nodded her head.

Julio took Venus' hand, gently pulling her over to where the teacher was situated. Venus felt as though she couldn't breathe. Her head was spinning and the only thing convincing her that this wasn't a dream was that every pinch she gave to her leg was not waking her up. She looked at her mother with an expression of hurt and confusion.

What was she doing here?

"Well," Ms Singh begam, awkwardly glancing between the three parents placed in front of her, "I'm sure you know that Venus has exceeded just about every expectation ever placed on her. Academically, she's brilliant. She's aced all her P.E assignments and has never handed me something late."

The words echoed in Venus' head, as though Ms. Singh was calling to her from across the room and not seated in front of her. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to get back to normal but it was no use. Her mother was already in her head.

Not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough.

"She's got her extra curriculars that set her above the bar as well," Ms. Singh continued, watching Venus wearily, "Captain of the track team, she helps out during rugby trainings and she's been tutoring some of my boys to keep them on the team. She has great leadership qualities and despite some mischief, she doesn't let it distract her from her studies. You've got a great daughter."

There was a silence. Venus slowly turned to her mum, waiting for her to say something. To say anything. But she didn't.

"Well," Julio said in an annoyed tone, glaring at the woman beside Venus, "Our VeeVee has always been great. She's a high achiever and will do anything to get what she wants."