chapter 3: just the two of us

She stirred something inside me that I couldn't quite comprehend. I stormed out of that party, my mind racing with uncertainty.

Was I terrified of losing her or elated by the taste of her lips?

Did she like it?

Did she feel what I felt?

The intensity of our kiss was consuming, and it left me feeling weightless and free. As I drove away in my pink car, with a few lilies from her still scattered across the dashboard, I took one of them in my hand just to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. I wasn't delusional all this time; my dream had just come true. She kissed me, and it tasted like heaven.

Was it real? Was I daydreaming again?

She felt something for me?

After all the longing, one might expect me to seize the moment and kiss her all night, but I hesitated. She was drunk when I was looking for her and found her in a room with an empty glass in her hand. I didn't know if her kiss was a mere gesture to assure me that she was okay with who I am or if she had finally figured out her true feelings for me. The uncertainty kept me up all night, replaying the moment in my head.

That night, I tossed and turned, unable to sleep. How could anyone drift off to dreamland when reality is even sweeter?

A few hours had passed, and I found myself standing at her doorstep. I needed to comprehend what had transpired between us and what it meant to her. Now that she was aware of my feelings for her, I was prepared to elaborate on my situation, ready for any possible response from her, except the one she gave me.

She finally admitted that I was all she could think about, so I wasn't delusional after all, and my feelings were not unfounded.

"Come, help me pack up my clothes," she said. "I don't want to see him again."

"What happened?" I asked. Alarmed by the fear in her voice.

"He's an asshole," she spat. "I should've left him years ago."

Eve trembled as she frantically rummaged through her closet. She seemed more scared than angry, so I intervened.

"Eve, what happened?" I asked firmly, searching her eyes for the truth.

She lifted her shirt to reveal a blue bruise on her ribs. I seethe with rage.

"He did this to you?" I growled.

She nodded, unable to speak.

"I'm going to kill him," I declared, my fists clenching.

"No, you're not," Eve protested, tugging at my arm. "Let's go. I don't want him to find me here."

Eve grabbed her bag, and we rushed out of her house, her hand shaking as she tried to insert the key into the lock. We finally made it to my car, and I helped her in before getting behind the wheel.

As we drove in silence, I could feel the tension radiating off her. I didn't know what to say, so I just concentrated on getting us to my place safely.

Once we arrived, I led her to my living room and sat her down on the couch. "Do you want something to drink?" I asked.

Eve shook her head, her eyes staring off into the distance. I could see tears forming in her eyes, but she was determined not to let them fall.

"Talk to me, Eve," I said softly, sitting down next to her. "What happened?"

"He hits me," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "And I walked in on him cheating on me at the party after you left. I don't want to see him again, Cece!"