Wattpad Original
There are 18 more free parts

| 40 |

"What do you think?" Carter asked.

The three of us stared at the poster. Over the years, so many had been stacked on top of each other that the humid, salty air had adhered them to the post like paper mache. Now, they were a massive wad of rubbish that would be near impossible to remove. The one Carter pointed to looked new, like someone had stuck it up only a few weeks ago.

"Madame Leclerc's Psychic Readings," Lola read the silver and indigo block letters at the top of the poster.

Beneath the chunky, stylized text, a stock image of a gnarled hand with purple nail polish held a crystal ball. A set of five Tarot cards were spread behind it, along with illustrated symbols of stars, crescent moons, and eyes.

This is it. Carter thought. This is how we find him.

"You think a psychic is going to tell us where my brother is?" I raised an eyebrow. "Hate to break it to you, bud, but psychics are all fake."

Carter let out a small chuckle and rolled his eyes before flashing me a smirk. "Says the guy who can literally read minds."

"Touché." Okay. I'd let him have that one.

"Plus, take a closer look." Carter pointed to the smaller print at the bottom of the poster.

Crystal ball readings by Madame Leclerc - $25

Palm Readings by Tessa May - $15

I froze when I read the last line of text:

Tarot Card Readings by Damien - $20

"What the hell?" It was the only thing I could manage to say.

"It's got to be him, right?" Carter asked. "I mean, twenty bucks is pretty steep but—"

"Quit fucking around." I shoved his shoulder lightly as I leaned in to get a better look. No last name was listed, and of course there were plenty of people in the world with the same first name, but still...

"Think about it," Carter said. "You told me you thought Damien had the same mind reading abilities you have. Working at a psychic shop would make sense."

"He's right," Lola jumped in. "Tarot card readers are people readers more than anything else. They observe and adapt what they say to match the way people act and respond to questions and statements. They dial in on what's going on in your life—your fears and desires."

A shudder rushed through me. I'd never had a reading from a psychic, but the way Lola described it made sense.

"That's why it feels so chillingly accurate," she continued. "Actually being able to read minds..." She stalled for a second, her eyes flickering to meet mine. "Your brother would be great at it."

I chewed on the inside of my cheeks, my gaze fixed on where his name was written at the bottom of the poster. They were right. It did make sense.

"Where is this place?" I finally asked.

Lola tapped the small text at the top of the poster with a red-painted nail. "It says it's located on the boardwalk near the intersection of Ocean Avenue and Beaumont Street." She lowered her hand as she looked at Carter and me. "Any idea where that is?"

"About a mile that way," Carter responded immediately. He held his phone in one hand as he pointed down the boardwalk with the other, towards the end where shops, restaurants, and the small pier of rides bustled during the summer. "I already looked it up."

I nodded. There was no guarantee Madame Leclerc's shop would even be open in the off-season...but there was only one way to find out.

"Let's go," I said.