New Developments

Začít od začátku

As the meeting's scheduled start time arrived, a request for the press to leave the room was issued. Prompted by security personnel, numerous members of the media exited the conference room. After confirming the closed door, Junta, representing the Earth side, began to speak.

"...Now, let us commence the negotiations."

Both sides' secretaries picked up their pens. The second round of negotiations between Earth and the Drifters Union begins.

"Then... once again, we shall present our proposals and demands."

As she spoke, one member of the delegation operated a tablet terminal. A virtual display materialized in front of the participants from both sides. The same text that was presented during negotiations in Suiryu was now displayed.

"Our stance remains unchanged. 100 million for Earth and 700 million for Mars... that is our maximum concession. Furthermore, if you can accept this condition, the selection of individuals who will become migrants will be left to you. However, particularly for those moving to Earth, we expect a rigorous selection."

Junta continued her words with a resolute attitude. Implicitly, she told them that even if migration is agreed upon, only the upper classes will be allowed to reside on Earth. However, Lothrie, representing the Union, frowned.

"For our part, as we have communicated before... our earnest aspiration is the migration of the entire Union's population to Earth. Undoubtedly, Mazner is a remarkable planet, but... with 800 million, we won't even account for a tenth of the Union's population. If we calculate based on Earth's land area, accommodating an additional 13 billion population is certainly possible."

Lothrie was puzzled by Earth's stubborn reluctance to accept migration. To them, Junta provided insight into the current state of Earth.

"From the beginning, Earth was already in a state of overpopulation. Our drive for space colonization was aimed at environmental preservation by reducing the Earth's population. Due to Earth's harsh environment or for the sake of natural habitat preservation, the majority of its land is uninhabitable. Habitable areas are already overcrowded... It might not be apparent from space, but Earth is grappling with tons of problems."

Junta, still facing the opponents who continue to make absurd demands, employed a slightly provocative tone. Some participants from the Union reacted uniformly, their expressions clouded with concern.

"As Earthlings, we have a duty to protect Earth. Regardless of whatever pressure you attempt to apply, we cannot concede that."

"........."

Junta maintained her resolute stance as she continued speaking. Faced with strong words, Lothrie felt slightly intimidated. Ultimately, on this day, negotiations once again yielded no agreement, and everything was deferred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Queen's Court Ship Meenan, off the coast of Seleno Aqua

Off the shores of the floating city Seleno Aqua, the Queen's Court flagship Meenan was anchored. The outcome of the negotiation conference had been promptly conveyed to Queen Riza.

"While extracting concessions from Earthlings is a step forward... 100 million, this still amounts to only 1% of the entire Union's population," Queen Riza sighed as she gazed at the report.

The House of Alzawall, led by her, are descendants of the royal family that ruled the planet Kyrie before its downfall. 1.300 years ago, guided by the House of Alzawall, the people of Kyrie embarked on a journey of wandering across the galaxy, abandoning their polluted home planet. Since then, under her rule, the House of Alzawall has taken in eleven species that lost their mother planets in a similar way, becoming rulers of the Drifters Union and objects of worship akin to gods.