We let our conversation die out after that. Walking in silence to where the party was being held. Passing a seating area that held a couple of guests. Sitting and conversing in front of a lit fireplace. When they noticed us they all stood and bowed. Keeping their eyes down to the floor. It wasn't strange to me since most of my brother's friends did that. They often called themselves a pack. Like a pack of wolves. Which when I was younger I found funny. Why would anyone call themselves that if they weren't actual wolves. But now it was strange to me if no one referred to them as such. However what I did find strange. Was an individual that didn't bow or cast their eyes away. Hidden in the shadows. The flames flickering light onto the person. Lighting only the side profile of a man. A brown eye trained on me as we passed. I wanted to point it out to Vahn. But something about that eye told me not too.

As if I would ruin a very special surprise. Instead I took note of the man's mask. In case I were to bump into the man again. The mask looked to cover only the man's upper face. It was black with gold lining the edges. As plain as the mask was, it stood out. Knowing the rest of the guest would be wearing more elaborate ones. "Once inside do not head to father." Vahn's voice drew me away from the man's gaze.

"What? Why not? Wouldn't that make father upset?" I questioned. Looking up to him with confusion. Tilting his head down to me with a smile.

"It would enrage him. But the old dog sometimes needs a reminder that we are beings. Not pawns in his game of chess."

"Then what do you suggest I do. Stand around fiddling my thumbs?" This caused Vahn to laugh out. Frowning at his display even if it couldn't be seen. "You're wild side is showing. Best to slip it back into place before you make yourself look foolish." I harshly whispered.

"Awe, where did that bite from earlier go? Come now show me those teeth!" Vahn laughed and moved to tickle me. Slapping his hands away from me.

"Vahn Williams. That is no way to be acting in front of company." I scolded him reminding him that we definitely weren't alone. He had a role to play just as I did. Someone in the group behind us snickered. Letting us know they heard and saw. Vahn glared at whoever it was. Then sighed out as he hung his head.

"Apologies, I forgot myself briefly. I sometimes forget how similar you and mother are."

"You will do right to remember from now on." Ending our conversation. As to not further talk about mother. I didn't want my mood to sour further than it already has thinking about her. Vahn cleared his throat and opened the door to the dance hall for me. Thanking him politely before entering. Doing the exact opposite of what he wanted me to do. Heading straight to our father and bowing respectfully to him and his company. Smiling in approval father introduced me to his companions. To which I honestly wasn't paying attention too. I had moved to auto pilot mode. Going through the motions of putting on a façade. Looking out to the crowd to see many laughing and having fun. Drinking and eating to their hearts content.

Politely I removed myself from my father's side when I was asked for a dance. Dancing around for a few songs. With those I didn't bother to learn the names of. Or listen to their advances. Though I had to focus to keep them from getting a little too handsy. Eventually I had to excuse myself for a breather. The large room had grown hot and suffocating. In need of cooler temperature and fresh air. I left the room heading for the front door. Taking in a deep breath. Filling my lungs with the night air. I wasn't sure how long I had been standing there. But it was definitely not long enough to be interrupted.

"If I didn't know better I would have assumed that you wished to run away." Looking over my shoulder to see the same masked man from earlier. Leaning against the door frame.

"And why would you have assumed such a thing?" I asked turning around to face the man. Watching as he smiled and lower his head.

"I know a caged animal when I see one. Come, I would like for you to meet someone. I'm sure you both would get along well." I didn't bother to move an inch. The man noticed and let out a breathy laugh. "I mean no harm truly. My friend is somewhat like you, caged. I think you both could benefit with a conversation. Just give it a try." I still didn't budge from my spot. The man smiled at me then nodded. Looking down to his hands before pushing off the door frame. Casually he walked away putting me on edge. Cautiously I went to the door to see the man left. Finding him talking to another as they walked into the room where the party was being held. Thinking I was in the clear I moved to the fireplace. Sitting on one of the sofas. Letting out a sigh and holding my head in my hands.