Sharks in the Water

Sam

"Okay so let me get this straight. You didn't come home till the ass crack of dawn because you were over there kissing and cuddling." Alex stated with her hands on her hips.

Thankfully Dakota came to my rescue by kissing her wife on the keep and pulling her into a loving hug.

"Come on love this is what we wanted for Sam. We need to be happy for the sappy fuck otherwise she'll go back to moping."

"Hey..." my voice strained just for say the word making me sound more pitiful.

"Stop talking you idiot what did the doctor say about speaking when your vocal cords are stressed like this. If you keep this up you'll go mute."

Alex shook her head making me sigh.

At least i can tell she's happy for me. I know that she's been worried about me. Worried with how much I've been pushing and hurting myself.

Dakota sighs into the silence.

"I understand why you're worried love but look at her. We haven't gotten to see her happy like this in a long time. I think we need to lay off a least a little okay?"

Alex sighs as she sits down on the couch cushion next to me. I lean back and close my eyes as they talk about me like I'm not there.

They do this often. It never truly bothered me because I know how much they care. I mean they've been with me during all my ups and downs. They never once left and have been my rock.

My phone vibrates in my pocket. I open up my phone and smile.

Hey Sam wanna grab a bite with me? -ash

Now? -sam

Yeah if you're available. -ash

Where?-sam

She sends me the address. I look up and see Alex and Dakota are still talking and decide to just let them be. I grab my stuff out of my room and get on my bike and head towards the restraunt Asher sent me.

When I arrive I notice that it's a hot pot restraunt. I walk in and just take it all in. The place isn't super busy. There's a big ass buffet style table with meats, vegetables, broths and everything.

Ash waves at me with a huge grin. Once I get closer she pulls me into a hug and then leads me to a table. Plates are already there with uncooked meats, veggies, and bowls with broth jelly cubs.

"We put the broth into this big bowl here that's connected to a heating element. They give us a base alone with it if we want the broth to be stronger.

As she talks about the place and what we're supposed to do I find myself getting distracted. I allow myself to study her. It's been almost a year or so since we reunited. She's recently gotten a hair cut. Probably this morning. It's looks good, it gives her a tidied up surfer vibe. Her eyes almost sparkle when the sun hits her face just right... wow she's gorgeous.

"Young is that you."

And with that old nickname and voice I m transported. Gone is the joy and calmness I was just enjoying.

I find myself back in the desert.  My throat parched, my muscles sore. Scream sound as the floor under us crumbles. Sending me and my close friend who might as well be my brother falling.

"Wow it is you young blood."

I snap back and look to my right.

"Jiffy..."

One of my old teammates from when I was in the marines. He's just as huge as I remember. His dark skin contrasting against the bright blue crew neck he's wearing with faded black jeans.

His short hair is grown out and he's braided it since he now has the freedom to do so. The poor arm sleeve on his tshirt begging for release from the tension.

"Looks like you still wear big ass clothes young. You know you've got a kick ass bod under there you should show it off once in a while like you used to."

I feel ash staring at us.

"Looks like you still wear tshirts 2 sizes too small. Your arm sleeves are begging for a break. Ash this is john Hamilton he was on the same squad as me. Jiffy this is ash shes an old friend of mine."

Jiffy thrusts out his hand into Ashes face with a huge grin on his face.

"Wow we never got to meet any of Youngs old friends. Unless you're talking about the cap but she doesn't count."

Ash smiles and shakes hands.

"It's good to meet you. What's the nickname young blood from?"

Jiffy laughs

"Well in the military you eventually get a nickname. Young blood here was the youngest on the team yet she'd been there the longest. Plus the ladies wojld always chase after her like sharks when they smell blood in the water. So we called her young blood. A play on words yah know?"

"Ah makes sense. Would you like to join us?"

Jiffy sighs and his smile turns into a face of disappointment.

"Sorry I ran in here cause I thought I saw Youngs old bike and turns out my hunch was right. I actually have to go. Have a good time though. "

With that he runs out of the restraunt and the tension leaves my body.

Ash leans forward with a smirk on her face.

"So the ladies would chase you huh young blood?"

The feeling of embarrassment rushes through me. God damn it Jiffy.

"No he's just exaggerating. It wasn't like that."

"Hmm I dunno if I believe that."

-hey guys sorry for the short chapters as well as not writing. My shifts went from days to graveyard so my sleep schedule is fucked but I'm trying to get back into it. Hope you enjoyed it though.