Chapter 76-Dancing in Blood & Secrets beneath the roses

Začít od začátku

Seeing that he was not back in his seat, Odette got up as well.

He pointed out to where the noise was coming from. "It seems there is some trouble..."

"I am sure the knights will take over it." She gave him a glowing smile, trying to mask her growing nervousness. "Lady Jennifer would be sad if you left her for such matters." She ended, gesturing back at his seat.

He saw Lady Jennifer and was sure that was far from true. With her brow raised, he was sure she was more interested in the noises than in whatever his sister could come up as a topic of conversation. Much less him.

His sister turned to Fridh and said with forced gentleness, "Why don't join us, Lord Fridh? You must be tired from being up in the sun for so long."

Fridh got startled, though he only showed it through a slightly curved eyebrow. In all the years he was a royal aide, Odette had never extended such an invitation or cared how long he stayed waiting for the prince. Francis knew for a fact something was at the foot. Something severe.

He started again. "I think we sh—-"

"Lady Jennifer!!" the familiar voice, made the Mountnero Lady raise herself from her seat with a speed he had not thought possible for her. In her porcelain face was now a rare expression, one he only saw once two years ago, raw worry.

They all looked as the Mountnero maid came rushing, wearing not the attire of the Mountnero but instead, using the one reserved for the royal maids, entering the garden before being tackled to the ground by two guards who had followed her.

Lady Jennifer rushed to her side, yelling. "Release my maid at this instance." She ordered.

The guards stared at her as Miss Fanny tried to wrestle out of their grip.

"No." said Odette.

A cold current filled the air and for mere moments Francis thought the duke was nearby until he saw the rage in those cold blue eyes. Not in the duke, but in his daughter.

Francis, with his wrist free, walked to them, ordering, "Release her."

"You cannot." reiterated Odette, putting herself between him and the scene at hand. "My palace my rules. I don't tolerate trespassers."

"Even criminals have the right to defence." said Lady Jennifer in a clipped tone that froze his sister.

He strode past Odette and looked down at the guards, speaking harshly his next words. "You obey the crown. And as your prince, I demand that you release her or you will be trialed for disobedience." His sister tried to protest, but his tone went even harder. "A disgraced princess has no power in the palace."

Those words cut Odette as they cut him. But had to be said.

He hissed into his sister's ear. "What did you do to Lady Lucreatia?"

Because that could only be the reason for her maid to trespass on his sister's domain. Odette did not reply or even look at him, choosing to give her utmost concentration to her hands. And he was furious.

The guards let the maid go, who was now filled with scratches and wounds. Her chin with a deep cut, leaving blood on the manicured grass of the princess rose garden. He saw Lady Jennifer take her, white as a pearl, handkerchief and damp the blood out. Lulu would be sad to see her maid like this, and his heart took a deep dive, feeling guilty for his sister's treatment of her.

With tears in her eyes, Miss Fanny braved on, her mission, not yet finished. "My Lady, you have to help. Prince Cedric is in danger."

He went numb. Francis had not expected those words, and neither did he expect the violent thrashing his sister threw at their conclusion. He had to secure her, together with the guards, as she screamed at the maid. "Liar!"

There was only one thing that caused such a fierce reaction from his sister. Only one person. And he feared where everything was going.

This did not deter the maid who had risen from the ground with the help of both Lady Jennifer and Fridh. "Lady Lucreatia and Lady Amelia went to help him. At the Empress palace."

It is impossible. Cedric would have never agreed to visit the Empress. Never. He was sure of it.

"Odette, explain." he ordered in the middle of screams and accusations his sister threw at the girl. Knowing he was going nowhere, he slapped her. "Explain."

The shock dulled her, and she sank to the ground, the guards leaving her. "It is a lie." she tried between sniffles.

In tears, she faced him, her hand on her bruised cheek. "Mother just asked me to facilitate things. So I just pretended to be you, brother, and sent Prince Cedric a letter saying you should talk over tea." Her eyes took a pleading look. "Mother just wanted to talk to him about Emperor Salazar..."

Francis took a step away from her, feeling an array of feelings he could not describe.

But there was no time. The War Bells sang over their heads.

The palace was under attack, and time stopped. It took him a moment that seemed to last an eternity to recover and to call for Fridh so he could order every soldier close by to march with him to the Empress palace.

It took him but a moment to know he was living his worst nightmare.

Two chapters in a week??? Yes it is XD

Actually the one on Friday was supposed to be out last Sunday so....

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this one.

I must confess I enjoy writing Amelia's POV although I am not sure what that says of me...

Francis's worst nightmare is her and the poor boy had to slap his sister. I really do not like violence (no matter what my story says XD) but I felt there was no other way.

Hope you can be kind to him. From here on it only gets harder for him.

Also, are you following me on my Instagram? andreasouza_author

This week I posted a portrait of mini Cedric!! Last week was Lucreatia and someone asked me to have a portrait of both as adults. So next week I will upload it.

Normally I upload the photos each Sunday (like the chapters) but if it is really popular I can upload it sooner.

Be free to ask who do want to see next. I have made a portrait of all the characters :)