Chapter 10

Freen's POV

The knock on the door sliced through the charged atmosphere, leaving us both suspended in a moment that had been rudely interrupted. My heart raced, uncertainty swirling within me as I moved to open the door, revealing a staff member holding a beautifully wrapped gift in their hands.

The envelope, clasped within the gift's delicate bow, bore my husband Marco's name in his elegant scrawl. A pang of guilt pricked at my conscience – the web of deceit I had woven seemed to tighten around me, each thread a reminder of the life I was living, a life so far from the truth.

I took the gift, my fingers tracing the embossed card that bore Marco's words. 

"I know it's only been 2 days, but can you blame me for missing my wonderful wife this much?"

My eyebrows furrowed in genuine surprise. How had he managed to get this gift to me on the yacht? Marco had always been resourceful, but this level of orchestration was unexpected.

"How did this get here?" I voiced my confusion, my eyes flickering between the staff member and the gift.

The staff member beamed, their enthusiasm contagious. 

"It was delivered by chopper, Ma'am. Mr. Maurer wanted to surprise you."

A soft smile tugged at my lips, tinged with a mixture of affection and exasperation. 

"That bastard."

The staff member chuckled, their gaze warm as they added, 

"I'm a fan of both of you. Your love story is quite inspiring. It's an honor to meet you face to face."

As the staff member departed, the gift remained in my hands, a weight of guilt settling over me. Marco's genuine gestures were grounded in his love for me, his belief in the marriage we shared. 

And yet, every smile, every act of appreciation felt like another layer of deception that I was piling upon myself.

Returning to my suite, I placed the gift on the side table, my gaze lingering on the ornate wrapping. Neko's voice cut through the silence, her curiosity piqued. 

"What's in it?"

I let out a sigh, my fingers playing with the ribbon absentmindedly. 

"A gift from Marco."

Neko's excitement was palpable. 

"Well, open it!"

I offered a wry smile, shaking my head. 

"You know, you're surprisingly eager."

Neko raised an eyebrow playfully. 

"What do you mean?"

A chuckle escaped my lips, my eyes meeting Neko's. 

"You've never struck me as the jealous type."

Neko's lips curved into a grin, her gaze unwavering. 

"Oh, I get jealous alright. But my profession has made me an expert at keeping it hidden."

With a mixture of amusement and curiosity, I untied the ribbon and opened the gift box. Nestled within was a framed photograph of Old Lady Agatha. A genuine laugh escaped me, a blend of surprise and irony. It seemed Marco had his own way of poking fun at my eccentricities.

Neko leaned in to get a better look, her voice tinged with humor. 

"He really does know you well."