xxiv. sacrifices of you

"You've made great improvement. I think we should stop your lessons for now," Court Lady Oh closed the book with a warm smile. I looked up at her in disbelief. Finally! I learnt how to read and write. I'm not completely fluent yet.. But I can survive with the knowledge I have for now.

I got up from kneeling and sighed deeply.

"Carry on with your chores now," Lady Oh instructed and I nodded gracefully. Making my way downstairs, I noticed the 13th prince sitting down and sipping his tea.

"What are you doing here?" I smiled and took a seat in front of him as no one was around us.

"Oh nothing," He smirked. I narrowed my eyes into him and he just looked away, holding in a laugh.

"Oh come on! Tell me!" I tried convincing, leaning closer to him from the table.

"Fine. Look, tomorrow is your day off, right?" He asked, finally giving me his full attention.

"Yes..." I replied as I moved back to my original spot.

"Well! I wanted to invite you to the market," The 13th prince gave a cheeky smile. Aiya, this guy is always up to something. However, I suppose It will be okay to go. I've been meaning to buy a few items for the past few weeks. It's a great opportunity!

"Guess my answer," I smirked.

"Mmm, a yes of course!" The 13th prince chirped. I laughed at the liveliness of him and slowly looked forward to tomorrow. The palace is very repetitive, not that I'm complaining but- it feels like deja vu everyday. Sometimes I ponder about the question of my existence. Why am I here?

"Hae-soo! Hae-soo? Are you listening?" The 13th prince questioned, bringing me back from spacing out.

"Huh?"

"So is that a yes?"

"Yes! I mean, of course! How do you expect someone like me to miss a day of adventure?" I bragged.

"Haha! But you're quieter now.. I don't know how to explain it. Before coming here, I prepared to get a yelling from you or a rejection," The 13th prince confessed.

"Well, I mean-" I lowered down my voice "It's too easy to die in the palace, I don't wanna die young," Baek-Ah gave me a confused reaction at first but slowly, he came to understand.

"I'll make sure you don't die young," I chuckled at his words. How easy is it for a prince to protect a maid? A nobody? Hae-soo was the 8th prince and Yeon-Hwa's sister-in-law and now her family has fallen out of grace.

- - - - - -

Time has been flying by quickly these days. It's already my day off! Most of the maids are out today, only some, who have nothing to do outside, are staying back. I don't know about them but I would've gone out of this suffocating place for sure.

Me and the 13th prince promised to meet up by the same restaurant we went to a few months ago. So, along with a few maids, I made my way to the market place with a bright smile on my face.

"Ah! There you are," The 13th prince smiled as soon as he spotted me from afar. I walked up to him and he suddenly grabbed the basket in my hands. "I'll hold it for you, consider it as a thank you gift for coming with me"

"Sure," I giggled. We started walking to all different types of stores and eating all sorts of delicacies. Slowly, my list of things was getting more and more crossed out. That's 6 months or a year of things for my stay at the palace done!

- - - - - -

Author's POV

The market was bustling with people, more thickley dressed as winter was soon approaching. Amongst the crowd, was a very noble princess making her way down the shops.