Chapter 14-A visit to Italy (emotions)

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry for hiding it Rosie, but I couldn't bring myself to tell you that. I know I'm the worst mum. I couldn't even put you before me" her tears ran down her face and she sniffled.

"Why did you split? Was it because of me? He didn't want me, did he?" I asked slowly and she shook her head at once.

"No…no" she sniffed and bit on her lips. "It was my fault not your father's."

"How?"

"I…I couldn't. Rosie—" she bit on her lip to suppress her son while my tears fell. So that means my dad could be alive? He wasn't dead?

Despite my despondence, a flare of happiness surged inside of me.

"I couldn't sacrifice Rosalie. I couldn't bring down my ego. I just couldn't " she sniffed and wiped her tears. "I was selfish and I'm sorry you have to go through all of this."

As I watched her speak, my heart sank and my chest heavy. She casted her gaze to the floor, her guilt eating her up. At once, I knew she did something wrong.

"What did you do?"

"Huh?" She rose to her feet and licked her lips. "I can't say it Rosalie, you might just hate me."

At that, my anticipation grew and I sat straight. "Tell me."

"No" she shook her head and glanced around. She trotted to the wardrobe while I wallowed in my thoughts.

My father could be somewhere. The fact that my mum was a widow could be a lie. I sniffed and sighed. I needed to know what mum did wrong.

"Rosalie" she called and I raised my head to her. "You can keep this in memory of him. Who knows you might cross paths?"

"What?" My brows puckered as I stared at her.

"This" she held out a gold chain to me and my puzzle grew wider. "It was a gift from him" she held it firmly lovingly and I blinked rapidly.

She had a possession of him?

"I found it when I searched the house" she seemed to read my confusion. "When I was searching for money."

"I value it but because I value you too—" she unlocked the necklace and the cold chill met with my neck. "I am wearing this for you" she locked it around my neck and I took my hands to it.

It was cold but it melted my heart. It was my father's possession. I had it with me. I bit on my lips as I stared at it.

"It fits you" mum smiled and took my eyes to her face. Her bleak face held tones of sadness in it. Her cheek bones were more prominent but it suited her face just like it suited mine.

"Take care of it" she turned around but I grabbed her hand.

"You still haven't told me what went wrong" I told her firmly and before I knew it, her face contorted in a scowl.

"Don't worry about it Rosalie."

My grip around her loosened at her frigid voice. I batted my lashes as I stared at her face that was darkened with no emotion.

"Fine." I scoffed and blinked back my tears. "Keep it to yourself."

She trotted out and shut the door and I sneered. Why'd she tell me half of the story? It was irrelevant then.

But I got to have my dad's possession. I sighed and caressed it gently. I hope to meet him; perhaps he might tell me the whole story.
———

I bit hard on my lips and turned sideways. My orbs rested on Mr. Alexander's face immediately. We were in Italy. We took the flight at almost noon and it was evening now.