Chapter 5

After several minutes, Margarete finally hung up the phone.
"Everything's arranged," she said.
Ernest barged into the office breathing heavily and staring at the two scientists with excitement.
"What now, Ernest?" Robert exhaled, glaring at him expectantly.
"I just thought- Can I... Could I come with you two?" He asked with hope in his eyes.
"No," Robert said firmly, "Not you."
"Why not?" Ernest protested, "I know more about this than you ever could! Why not let me come with you?"

"It's too risky," Robert replied. "Besides, I need someone who I trust to stay here. Who else is going to back me up when Groves and others notice that I'm gone?"
"But you don't even know Margarete!" Ernest replied, sounding frustrated. "What if she's working with the Germans?"
Robert considered this for a moment.
"Fine, you're coming with us." Robert agreed, a sign of annoyance in his voice. "But don't mess anything up."
"Yes!" Ernest cheered, sounding relieved. He was looking forward to the trip already.

Robert stared at him for a moment, trying to decide if he should be worried. If Ernest messed anything up, it would be a setback their project could hardly afford.
"Just... stick close to me," he finally said, "And do not say anything to Margarete that might compromise our project."
"Alright," Ernest replied, trying to stay calm, "Let me go get some things for our trip, and we'll be on our way in a few minutes."

—-

Robert, Margarete, and Ernest found themselves sitting in a small plane bound for the Swiss Alps. Robert was in the seat beside the pilot, Margarete in the seat behind him, and Ernest behind both of them, with his face buried behind a large map, which he was trying to study. The flight to Europe was relatively quiet, as everyone tried to catch a bit of sleep before the day ahead. Robert felt on edge, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. He felt his heart pounding in his chest, his mind racing with thoughts of what could go wrong on this trip.

He glanced over at Margarete, who was sitting calmly in her seat, trying to catch some rest, seemingly relaxed despite the nervous feeling in the air. Ernest, on the other hand, seemed completely relaxed, his eyes focused on studying the map, seeming lost in his world. He was excited about the mission ahead.
As they flew, Robert's mind began to race.

What if Margarete was working with the Germans?
What if they had sent her to steal their plans?
Or even worse, what if this meeting with Heisenberg was a setup? What if Robert and Ernest themselves were set to be ambushed and captured once they reached the mountains?
Robert felt his heart beat a little faster.
This meeting could be a trap...
But there was no going back.

As the plane continued its flight, Ernest grew more excited as his eyes continued to look over the map.
"AHA!" Ernest suddenly exclaimed, looking up from his map.
He was pointing at a spot on the map he had been studying, and his excitement was clear.
Robert and Margarete turned to face him, their expressions showing mild annoyance.
"What is it, Ernest?" Robert asked.
"I found these cool trails that we could use once we land!"His tone was like a child in a candy store, filled with excitement and wonder.

He was pointing directly at a spot on the map, and Robert and Margarete exchanged a quick look.
Robert sighed, clearly tired and frustrated by this point.
"Sure, Ernest," he replied, his tone full of sarcasm, "I'm glad that you're so interested in hiking trails."
"I just don't understand! We don't often have a chance to travel to Europe! That's like going straight to the battlefield! And you aren't even excited or worried... Just sitting there with your blank face expression." Ernest complained.

"I'll let you in on a little secret, Ernest," Robert replied, his tone still sarcastic.
"We're not here to go sightseeing and hiking. We're doing something much more important. We are on a very sensitive mission right now. I'm concerned about the safety and security of our nuclear weapon," Robert continued, his tone now frustrated. "Not so much about your little hiking trails."
Ernest perked up at this, his demeanor suddenly changing.

"Look, Ernest, I know you mean well," he continued after a few moments of silence, "And I know you're excited about this trip. But this project is of extreme importance," he went on, "And our meeting with Heisenberg tomorrow is a crucial part of that.
We're not tourists, we're here on a mission," he continued, "I don't have the time to be marveling at the scenery. And you aren't helping at all, Ernest. In fact, with all your rambling, you're making this a lot more difficult."

Ernest fell silent, his gaze shifted to the window as an annoyed expression started forming on his face.
Robert sighed and then looked out the window himself. He didn't seem bothered by the fact that Ernest was annoyed. He turned back to his window, his expression neutral as he focused on the approaching mountains.
As the plane drew closer to their destination, Robert's heart rate increased once more.
He just hoped that things would go smoothly...

They would be landing soon, and then everything could be determined.

Was Margarete on their side? Or not?

All of their questions would be answered soon enough.