Chapter 2

"Werner Heisenberg.." Oppenheimer repeated under his breath.

The name sent a chill down his spine. He was undoubtedly a brilliant physicist, one of the greatest minds of his generation. But he had a dark side. A side aligned with Nazis. He could never be trusted.

"Ernest... are you out of your mind?" Oppenheimer asked. "How on Earth are we going to convince him? I'm sure he wouldn't switch sides just like that. And even if he was willing to work with us, his ties to the Third Reich would make him impossible to trust."
"I've spoken to a trustworthy source. Heisenberg has expressed doubts about the direction the Third Reich is taking and Hitler's competence, and he may be open to a little change." Ernest replied with a sign of hope in his eyes. "And even if we can't trust him," he added, lowering his voice, "We can always force him to help." A sly grin appeared on his face.

Oppenheimer's mind was racing. He needed time to decide.
Robert felt a strange respect for Werner even though he represented something opposite to what Robert stood for.

It was a long time ago. The two had been at a conference, discussing the future of quantum physics. They had spent hours chatting and debating the nature of the universe. Even though their opinions conflicted, they still respected each other. Memories from years ago flashed through Oppenheimer's mind.
—-
"Nice to meet you, Werner," Oppenheimer said, holding out a hand.
"Likewise, Robert," Heisenberg replied, shaking Oppenheimer's hand.
Robert could feel the intensity in Heisenberg's grip.

"I have to say," Heisenberg continued, "your theories on quantum physics are intriguing. But I would have to agree with the others, that they seem... unconvincing. So you're suggesting that particles have multiple states, not in one specific location, but distributed across space. That is just... illogical."

There is a brief pause.

"Besides that," Heisenberg continues, "the issue of observation is not even yet considered in this theory. How do you know these states exist?"
Oppenheimer takes a moment, then speaks slowly:
"We believe that before observation, a particle is in multiple states at once, but the act of observation snaps it to one particular state."
Heisenberg listens intently, considering Oppenheimer's words.
"But I cannot understand how this can be possible," Heisenberg replies, "surely it makes no sense for a particle to be in multiple places at once?"
"This is exactly what we are trying to understand," Oppenheimer says carefully.
Heisenberg sensed Robert's uncertainty.
"Let us not rush, Robert. There is still a lot to learn about the universe, and time is on our side."
—-
Time sure isn't on our side now.

"I'll think about it, Ernest."
"Our success is in your hands, Robert. Don't mess it up." Ernest said in a cold tone, but after a few seconds, a smile spread across his face. "No pressure" he chuckled and put his hand on Robert's shoulder.
Oppenheimer chuckled nervously as well. "No pressure indeed..."
He was cut off by a knock at his office door. Robert turned his head.
It was General Leslie Groves.
"Robert," Groves said, his tone serious, "We need to talk. Now."
"Sir general, I had already brought up that topic to him-" Ernest started.
Groves put up his hand, pausing Ernest mid-sentence.
"Robert. Come, now."
There was no room for argument. They knew General Groves well, and they both understood that when Groves gave orders, they must be followed. Oppenheimer nodded briefly to Ernest and followed Groves out the door.
"So.. what is it you wanted to tell me, sir?" Robert hurriedly followed him down the corridor.
Groves led Oppenheimer towards another building on the site.
"Robert," he said slowly, "we have a bit of a problem with our supply of uranium. It seems we're running short. We don't have enough to continue our experiments at the pace we're going."
Oppenheimer felt his stomach drop.
He sighed and nodded reassuringly "No worries sir. I spoke to Ernest, and I already have a plan."

He for sure didn't have a plan yet.

"Well then hurry up, Robert. We are all waiting for you to do your magic."
"Magic... I wish I had just a tiny bit of magic.." Robert thought to himself as he left General Groves behind and went back to his office.

Ernest was no longer there. Robert walked up to the table while staring at the phone. He was contemplating rather he should make the decisive call or not. Twenty minutes passed, and he still couldn't bring himself to do it. He sighed and thought to himself that he should go on a walk to unwind and clear his mind.

Robert made his way outside, a cool breeze gently caressed his face, carrying with it the faint smell of autumn. He took a deep breath, feeling his mind slow as he walked along the paths. But the weight persisted.

Suddenly he saw an unfamiliar figure in the distance of the desert. It appeared to be a female. He picked up the pace, curious to find out what is a stranger doing in Los Alamos. Once they stood in front of each other, only two meters parting them, and stared at each other, Robert could finally study her. She had piercing blue eyes and short, curly blond hair which was styled in a German way. Her lips were a crimson shade of red, which matched the color of her dress. The mysterious woman finally spoke in a mesmerising voice "Hello there Dr. Oppenheimer. It's been a while."