Chapter Twenty-Four

Kendall

"Marquis stop your going to make me fall!" I yelled over the music that played throughout the rollerskating rink.

He kept his promise of bringing me skating like I asked of him. I used to love coming to the skating rink with my friends and cousins when I was younger. It was one of the many activities are parents got us to do to get out of the house during summer breaks.

The neon lights and the loud R&B and rap music that blasted through the speakers made my veins pulse with adrenaline from the excitement. The feeling of just being here gave off a nostalgic feeling to my soul.

It reminds me of when the only worry I had was how I was going to beg my dad for five dollars to get a snack from the corner store after school or when I forgot to do my homework the night before so I have to hurry and finish it during my lunch period.

You know the simple times.

Now my top worry is making sure my kid is breathing.

"Why you moving like you scared to skate?" Marquis asked moving his hands to my hips as he skated backward in front of me. He had been trying to move me so I'd be moving along the rink at his speed which was too fast for what I was comfortable with at the moment.

"I'm not scared, I told you I've never been the best skater. Plus, it's been a while since the last time I've attempted to do this. I just have to find my balance then I should be good. I need to take my time because I do not want to fall in front of all these people. That's so embarrassing." I placed my hands along his arms which were stretched out in front of me for some assistance. Him being in front of me would help me for my balance and to catch me if I fall.

"Do you want to move to the wall for help?" He nodded his head in the direction he planned on moving me to.

I looked over to see that the wall was currently occupied by small children who had to be no older than five. "That's even more embarrassing. Just stay like this, I almost got it."

He assisted me around the rink a couple of times until I was comfortable. From there we easily skated around together. Occasionally he'd grabbed onto my hand to test my comfort level.

He'd speed us up if the song changed to a more advanced tempo or grab onto my waist if it was something on the more romantic side.

After hour two of going around, only taking a break to grab something to drink from the snack bar, I found myself becoming tired. Marquis picked up on it and kept us going at a neutral pace for the remaining time.

Every so often I'd allowed him to leave me so he could skate faster like I knew he wanted to. He even tried to show off a few tricks here and there looking like one of those roll bounce skaters you see on social media.

"Stop showing off!" I said in a playful tone.

"Learn how to skate better."

I rolled my eyes as I watched him go off without me. I got a little nervous from his absence only because if I fell then I would fall right on my ass or face instead of having him here to catch me.

Deciding I didn't want to test my fate I skated off to the side sitting on one of the benches. My legs were starting to burn anyway. I looked around for Marquis to see him in the middle of a group of guys.