Chapter Thirty-One

Beginne am Anfang

"Maybe you just need more time to adjust. You love the job, just not the sacrifices which makes sense."

"I don't know man. I'm just so tired." He sighed, laying back on his bed.

I didn't know what to say or how to make him feel better because honestly every time I tried to console him he would still feel the same anyway so I didn't waste my breath.

"You'll figure it out."

"I know I will. I'm just trying to manage everything while making sure my mental is good. Maybe we should go on our own vacation. We can go to the Bahamas for a week or something."

"Maybe."

I'll need a way to get out of that.

"Baby you mind bringing my laptop in here? I need to check my email before I leave."

"Yeah, I don't mind."

"You can just set it on the bed. I'm about to use the bathroom real quick." 

"Okay." I left his room to do what he asked. I already knew where his laptop was because he kept it on the kitchen island. It's been his favorite spot when he worked from home. I actually felt kinda bad for how much he worked, but can't feel too bad if he signed up for it.

Just like I knew it was I found his laptop on the island. Usually, I would just shut it and take it to the room, however, my eyes locked in on the screen today.

He had a text thread from an unknown number open up. He clearly forgot to lock his laptop back.

I didn't want to snoop or be that person, but the messages were just so odd. The text was in green and the only thing they communicated by sending different locations around the city and what time they'd meet.

The last message was sent this morning and it read...

What time does he leave? I was thinking we could chill at your place since he'll be gone.

I knew he was me and I already had it figured out what was going on here. Was I going to bring it up now?

No, because I wanted to enjoy my vacation and I really didn't care all that much. He was just making my process of leaving him easier.

"What's taking so long?"

Hearing his voice made me jump and slam his computer shut. I don't think he noticed that I was snooping, but he could tell I was up to something.

"My bad, I grabbed myself a few Oreos. I was just about to bring it in the room." I tried to play chill by smiling, yet I knew he was on to me.

"Ummm okay," he said skeptical of me. "If you want you can start heading down to the car. The keys are by the door, I'll be down in a minute."

I wanted to ask why, but I had been on his good side for a while so I minded my business and did what he said to keep it that way.

One thing I hated about his building was how far the walk seemed to the parking garage. The walk was probably on five minutes, but there were just so many doors that I had to go through that made the walk seem like a hassle.