Subdue Unforeseen Cracks😶

Bondita's POV

"Beni, hold this carefully" I handed over the leaf bowl of prasad to my friend for his family members.

Beni (whispering) - Ei Bondu!! Payesh er arekta baati de na (Give me one more plate of kheer) that was so mouth-watering, even better than what my Ma makes. The bhog (khichdi) is beyond my words of praise.

"I learnt it from my ma and taught this to Koeli didi early morning today" I jumped in curiously with delight to take up the credit of his quick compliment for the dessert.

"So what?" Batuk's voice intervened at my absolute annoyance.

"How dare you say that Batuk?" I snapped at him "I also prepared the kheer. Som dada dragged you from bed to push you into the bathroom so you could attend today's pujo. Did you ever try getting up early morning by yourself? No."

Batuk (laughing) - Why would I get up early morning and go to the kitchen when you and Koeli are here to take the pains of feeding me? I mean to say stop being so desperate for taking credits of this payesh. Dada had instructed you to revise your chapters before going to sleep and he warned kaka not to pressurize you with prasad preparation of today's pujo. So you had simply narrated the recipe to Koeli di, I don't think she allowed you to cook the kheer this time, except approving you to pass her the dry fruit jar.

"Batuk!!" I remarked furiously "Don't you think you should pause your snooping skills for a while till our exams are over?"

Batuk (with a haughty glare) - That's my duty. I am your Choto dewor and officially appointed guardian by Dada at biddaloye. So, staying updated where you are concerned is my responsibility towards you Boudi.

"Hey hey hold on!!" I raised my palm signalling him to halt his self-boast "My lovely responsible Dewor, you should take your studies more responsibly than overhearing talks of others. Besides, Pati babu had simply asked you take care of me at school, he did not appoint you as my guardian as such at home or biddaloye. So, don't try covering up your snooping habit with responsibility which your Dada claims his copyright upon."

Batuk- Setai toh Boudi! (That's what) Dada asked me to take care of you at school so that you can study effortlessly, right?

Beni - Ei Bondu, you can fight with him later, give me one more baati now.

Batuk - Sorry Beni, that offer is available for a limited time period. Boudi already gave you 3, how much more will you have? Boudi, you bring one for me.

"Batuk" I broke my silence, scrunching my chin as he finished his bantering "I guess you had 6 bowls till now. Why can't Beni have one more?"

Batuk - Because Boudi I feel more hungry when I am compelled to get up early in the morning (yawning) I am the choto jomidar of Tulsipur, and it's bad manners to count the number of dishes to your choto dewor.

"So" I replied frowning "as choto jomidar of this village, does it suit you to disapproving your local companion & batch mate from taking another bowl of kheer at a function in your own house? Is this not bad manners?"

Batuk (thoughtfully) - Uuummm, boudi....But....

Gopal - Bondu bring one bowl of bhog each for me and Madhob too.

I shook my head agreeably and left to take the bowl of kheer and bhog for them in the heshel wondering over at Batuk's persistent irksome argument.

"Ei Bondita" Bor babu called from behind and I turned back to him

Anirudh (gleefully) - Mishti get me a little more bhog (khichdi offering to deity) it's lip delicious. You are astounding cook Bondita.

"Thank you Bor babu. Aschi niye (Yes I am getting it)" I replied cheerfully and came into the kitchen, took a copper plate and poured some payesh in 4 mud bowls while Koeli didi entered.