He laughs. "I did, well, many years ago, I was hiding from my brothers and I decided to hide here in the kennels. It was quite dark so I thought I could just hide in here for a few hours then sneak back inside."

"Why were you hiding from your brothers?"

"I may have left a dead squirrel in each of their beds." He answers and I can only look at him, mouth open.

"That's disgusting."

He laughs. "I know, I know, but it was just one of the things we would do to each other. Dead things in beds, hiding all their clothes, loosening the straps on their saddles so they would fall off." He laughs. "Anyways, I thought I had won, then as I was sneaking out they found me and decided to strip me down lock me one of the kennels and leave me here all night."

"And who let you out in the morning?" I ask.

"Well the kennel workers found me the next morning and were quite surprised, but they let me out and gave me a coat so I could get to my rooms." He smiles.

"And did that stop you from leaving dead squirrels in your brother's beds?"

"Oh no, no there were more dead things hidden in places." He laughs.

"I don't want to know." I laugh.

"Well at least they almost always deserved it." He replies.

"Oh I'm sure you were not innocent in all of your scheming and revenge." I counter.

"No, never innocent." He agrees.

He continues telling me stories of him and his brothers while we pet the puppies, listening to him talk about them with love and affection reminded me of my brothers and sisters but I push them to the back of my mind.

"I can see why you visit these little ones every day, I would spend all my time here as well if I could, they are adorable." I say lifting the heavy one up and kissing him on the head. I lean down kissing the other two on their heads while holding the large one in my arms like a baby.

I feel Aeris watching me and turn to find an amused expression on his face, his smile different from the usual arrogant one I was used to.

"What?" I ask.

"You're just not what I expected." He answers.

"What did you expect?" I ask.

"I'm not sure, I didn't expect you to be fine with sitting on the floor and ruining your dress, or being so enamoured by the pups that you would be happy with them walking all over you." He smiles, watching as the two pups nip at each other on my lap fighting for space and attention.

"It's just a dress, I'm used to being dirtier than this." I shrug. "And who couldn't be absolutely smitten with these puppies, I just want to steal them all and keep them in my room." I say rocking the puppy in my arms while petting the two on my lap receiving licks in return.

"You know, you're not what I expected either." I say after a moment of silence.

"No?" he asks turning to me.

"No, I'm not sure if it's just because you're sober for once, but you're different being here, away from everyone else." I say as the two pups settle on my lap.

Aeris laughs quietly. "See, that is why I know we will make great friends, that sharp tongue of yours, you're not afraid to say exactly what you think when you're with me."

"Should I be?" I ask, wondering if maybe I should be keeping my thoughts to myself.

"No. I'm glad you're not afraid to say what you truly think, most people don't." He replies and I can't help but look at him. He could see it too, the way everyone acted, like they were all playing parts as well. Maybe that's all it was, he was just playing a part when he was around others. Underneath it all, all the arrogance and drinking, maybe the real him just needed someone to be himself around as well.