Chapter 9 - Broken Ship in a Bottle

I dont witness the reunion between Hunter, Trevor and Gravia. By the time I had gotten up the next morning, they're already all by the fire, cooking something.

Slowly sitting up, Fox gives a small chirp of greeting before scampering away towards the forest, probably to go search for some berries and rabbit.

"Good morning."

I walk over, and the three heads snap up. Gravia must have filled the two of them in, because they just wave at me as I make my way over to them.

"Good morning princess."

"Good morning there."

Gravia just nods at me, the sunlight reflecting off her eyes as she meets my eyes.

"We're heading back to the Krewdom today." I announce. "Do you guys have horses?"

"I've got a new horse, and we have a cart. We can keep up with you and the pony." Trevor sneers.

Hunter steps on his foot, and Gravia pulls on his ear. Trevor hisses in pain, and shuts up.

"It should be around a days travel." Gravia muses. "If we're fast enough... we may be able to make it before nightfall... I know a few shortcuts."

I raise an eyebrow. "You know these woods well."

"You tend to know your home when you walk around it long enough." Gravia shrugs. "Maybe I need to move."

"That'd be nice." Hunter chimes in. "I want a hot shower."

"I wouldn't pass a hot shower," I smile, "haven't had one of those in a little bit."

Gravia stands up and stretched her fingers, letting a few bones crack.

"No time to waste, might as well clean up and go."

。。。

The wagon that the trio own is old, built of wood that was rotting at the edges and replaced by new wood in certain sections. One of the wheels is slightly larger, and awkwardly fit.

Everything the three of them own is messily packed into the wagon, and hitched on the back of a black stallion, the mane tossing back and forth.

I board Queen and Fox appears out of nowhere and jumps up onto the back as well. Gravia hops up on the horse, and the two men hop into the back of the wagon and become wrapped up into their own world.

"I used to own your horse."

"Really?" I raise my eyebrow at Gravia. "This is Queen, Golds horse."

Gravia looks the horse up and down, her lips pressed into a thin line as Queen glances back.

"Queen?" Gravia mutters. "Suits her."

"Thank Gold."

"It's a little on the nose... isn't it."

"I suppose."

Gravia looks back at the wagon, at the rotting wood and new planks patching around.

"Ever heard of the idea of Theseus's ship?" She asks.

I ride beside her, passing on a path under dappled light. Fox perks up and Queen tosses her mane and snorts. The black stallion snorts back and kicks a hoof. I speed Queen up so I am riding right beside Gravia.

"Whose ship?"

"A thought experiment. Think of it like this... after several centuries of maintenance, if each every single part of the Ship of Theseus was replaced or fixed, is it still the same ship at the end of the day?"

I'm quiet for a second, as we turn off the path into the greenery. Circling around ferns and trunks.

"Like your wagon?"

"Hm... I suppose it's the same concept after all. Replacing it bit by bit, until it may turn into a new wagon altogether. What happens if one plank of the original remains? Is it still the original wagon, or a new one with renewed pieces?"

"Where are you going with this?"

"Will Draco be the same after all these hypothetical planks have been torn off and replaced?"

I gawk at Gravia, who remains stone faced and silent. A tree comes up in front of me, and I quickly wind around it and trot up beside Gravia once more.

"How could you suggest that? I saw him— of course he's the same."

"The inner turmoils and tribulations that has changed him may not be the same. This manipulation may change his thoughts. Will he still be companionate and kind? Will he still understand you're kingdoms wills? Will be he be the same brother that you let go?"

I'm quiet for a second, before words spill out of my mouth before they can be processed though my brain first.

"The thing that's different between a ship and my brother is that he's a person. A ship can be fixed and changed, but it can never go back. My brother, is his own person. He has a heart, something that lets him be alive. He understands change. We, as humans, control the ships change. We can change people, but at the end of they day, it's someone's own choice to change or go back. Once he's free, it will be a long time before everything is okay... but Draco can do it. He can understand."

I'm panting when I finish. I realize that we have stopped moving and a speck of light is positioned right over Gravias cheek. Hunter and Trevor have stopped taking too.

Gravia is quiet, before speaking up.

"Keep that optimism kid... you'll need it for the inevitable."

。。。

The gates of the Krewdom appear in the distance when the moon is at its peak.

Hunter and Trevor have fallen sleep, and my body has become numb through a full day of hard travel and steep climbs. Both the horses are clearly tired, and Fox is curled up in my lap, fast sleep. One ear twitching every so often.

Gravia is quiet, she had been quiet for the past few hours. I leave her to it, stirring in her own thoughts.

"We're here."

"We are."

We make our way down the path, slow and quietly as we pass rolling fields of grass and wheat. No one is out and about, the world is quiet and still.

An owl hoots in the distance, and a few fireflies twist and twirl in the chilly night air.

We have just reached the gates when someone screams.

"NOW!"

Thundering grounds, and closing in on the group. Gravia is on her guard, pulling out a dagger from nowhere as I quickly knock back my bow and aim it into the darkness.

My eyes widen as I recognize some of the horses and armour.

I lower my bow.

"Princess Rainbow!"

I whip my head around and spot the fiery crimson hair quickly making his way up to her. Alec grabs onto her and pulls her off Queen to hug her properly.

"Oh my god— you have no idea— your sisters have been hysterical with worry— it's good to see you!"

The rest of the guards surround Gravia and the boys. I smile at Alec, and Fox is beside me, clearly grumpy from being woken up.

"Good to see you too Alec."

"You did it!" He cheers. "Never had a doubt."

"You too." I look over my shoulder. "Be nice with them, I made a deal."

Alec stands there in shock for a second, before rolling his eyes.

"Only you Rainbow, would go out of her way to not only find but BEFRIEND the very people you were suppose to capture and find."

A squeak.

"YOU GOT A FOX TOO?"