Chapter 3 - Unlikely Alliance

It's monarch fur fluffed up slightly, with its inky blue eyes of crashing waves and soft bluebells rustling in a soft breeze. With belly fur white as glaciers and black stockings at its four paws. The foxes fail tail is curled up around him, as if protecting him as his eyes continue to stare right at me.

I coo at the sight, silently grimacing inside at the sheer sight of the poor thing. There's blood stains all over it's beautiful orange fur, and I can easily spot a gash around its hind leg

"Hey." I whisper, quickly lowering myself to my knees. I shift the bow I had strung around my torso before I open my arms at the critter. "Are you alright?"

It doesn't say a word, simply staring though it's eyes. But, it's tail begins to slightly uncoil around its body, flashing back and forth in the forest floor.

"It's okay."

The fox uncoils itself further, taking a wobbly step up before squealing and dropping back to the floor.

I instinctively reach out before the fox snarls at me, displaying an array sharp red stained teeth.

I back off.

"Noted." I say out loud.

There's a small noise behind me, and I turn around to look at Queen.

"Any advice?" I ask. (God I really am going crazy, asking for advice from a horse...)

Queen snickers and goes to eat some grass off the path opposite to me and the fox.

Okay rude.

Again I turn to gaze at the fox. It's eyes had never left me, as I slowly shift closer to it once again.

"Hey Fox... can I call you Fox?"

Fox gives me an amused look, it's tail swishing back and forth and back and forth.

"Okay... I'm taking that as a yes." I clear my throat and slowly take inventory of what I have that can help.

I've got a bow, my scrolls and Queen... not a great array of things to have—

I turn back to Queen, my eyes quickly settling on the saddle packs I blatantly ignored till up to this point.

"Stay here." I say to Fox as I stand up. "Oh wait... yeah please stay here and don't move."

Fox gives me the stink eye, as if trying to say 'dude I literally could not move even if you wanted me to.'

I scramble over to the saddle packs. Over top, I had tied my arrow bag with a tight leather strap. Shoving it slightly to the side, I unbuckle the first pack and peer inside.

There's bottles of water and some bread all wrapped up tucked in one corner. The scrolls are tucked in another with a leather bound book which I recognize. It's a survival manual that we hand to all the guardsmen. I smile, that'll come in handy.

I move around Queen, before quickly unbuckling the other saddle pack. There's a white first aid kit nestled among the other survival materials such as a compass or a map.