Chapter 6 - Chirps and Chirrs

I'm up on my feet before anything else.

Pausing for only a moment, before I quickly scoop up Fox. The warmth and fuzzy nature of orange surrounded a pulsing heart filled me with a sort of comfort as I started to make my way as quickly and quietly away.

The camp is completely quiet, the snoring alerting me of the unconscious nature of all my captors.

Queen is tied up on a nearby tree, chewing on some grass off in the distance as I circle the camp towards her. She raises her head as I get closer, thankfully not making a single sound.

I shift Fox in my hands.

"Omfph— my, you're heavy."

I didn't know foxes could look so offended.

Fox jumps out of my hands and onto Queen back as I flip open the saddle-packs and shuffle though everything. It's all there.

Silently stepping around, avoiding branches and especially crunchy leaves, I untie Queen from the tree and glance back at the campsite once more. It's still quiet, all but the dimming fire, casting golden-red sparks onto the stone circle that enclosed it.

Finally, in two swift motions (I did NOT fall, you didn't see that) I'm settled on Queens back and gently kicking my heel into Queens side.

"Girly up." I mutter. "Or— or whatever the hell they say."

Queen gets the message and begins galloping through the trees, kicking the wind up and leaving the campsite a distant yellow-golden glow.

Someone screams.

I squeeze my eyes and dare not look backwards.

。。。

I tumble off Queens back by the time I get her to slow down. Fox's eyes seem to squint in a joyful manner, as if mocking me.

"Shut up." I grumble, standing up and brushing myself off. "You have four legs to stand on, easier to balance."

A squeak.

"Oh don't give me that!"

Queen gives up on me, trotting away to sit down and lay her head on the ground, presumably to go to bed. Fox gracefully hops off the back and skips over to me, doing a few circles around.

"You are a headache." I chastise, and all Fox does is give me a toothy grin.

I sit down for a moment, finally taking a moment to examine my wrists under the moonlight of the sky. Even in the silver light, they are rubbed raw and red. I quietly wince as I try to circle my wrists around, but nothing seems too serious.

Fox squeaks, and then she drops the saddle pouch at my feet. The poor thing had dragged it over to me. I smile.

"Clever Fox, how'd you detach this?"

Fox is silent, as mysterious and mischievous as always.

I flip open the cover and tussle around a little before pulling out a first-aid kit. Unlatching it, I pull out the long white bandages. Using my teeth and some uncomfortable positioning, I awkwardly manage to twist and cover both my wrists with the bandages. It's wonky, but it works.

Fox is sitting there, cleaning himself throughout all of this. I reach out and pluck a leaf out of an unreachable part of his tail.

"Missed a spot." I quietly tease, and all Fox can do is snort as he continues to clean themselves.

As I slide the first-aid kit back into the satchel, my eyes fall onto the piece of lavender parchment that Lunar had handed me.

"I should probably send a note." I muse to myself out loud, and Fox looks up from her cleaning. "They shouldn't need to worry, especially cause they're about to get a ransom letter..."