19. the second task

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

the second task

TThis time around Rory wasn't as nervous. She had the Gillyweed, a plan and most importantly, she had all of her sisters rooting for her, even Effy who had managed to get a day off to see her sisters. There was a sense of excitement in Rory this time ― she wasn't scared or terrified ― but she was still a bit anxious.

The morning of the task was a good one.

Rory was feeling pretty great and confident but most of all, she felt prepared. She had her plan and nothing in the world could change that. Unlike the morning of the First Task, Rory was able to have a good breakfast. She was in a good mood, having polite conversations with her friends and even talked with Harry whom she hasn't seen since the Yule Ball.

Everything was well, although for the life of her, Rory couldn't find Lara, Via or Hermione anywhere. She asked Harry if he had seen Hermione but he shook his head, giving her an answer which she didn't quite like.

Because of the hassle of the Second Task, Rory has barely seen Hermione at all. She had seen her walk past her once or twice but otherwise they had had very little contact.

Rory asked after Via and Lara from their friends and then Cedric but no one has seen her since last night ― Cedric figured Lara must be somewhere by herself, trying to forget the fact that her twin sister and boyfriend were again in harm's way.

Half an hour before the task, students and their possible guests started to leave the castle in groups and head towards the location of the task, wanting to make sure they will get the best places.

"Will you be okay?" Olive asked when Rory suggested she should go ahead.

"I will. Just go and get a good seat," grinned Rory and watched her best friend go.

Rory wanted to have a moment to herself. To gather her thoughts, run the plan in her head several times to make sure she will do fine. She still didn't care about winning, only surviving.

Some students wished Rory good luck when walking past her, telling her that they think she will do great and that they are rooting for her. Rory thought it was a bit odd since she barely knew any of them but was grateful for their support ― it was better than having everyone being angry at you.

Taking a turn to her right, Rory's face broke into a genuine smile by the sight of her favourite person.

"Effy!" Rory squealed like she was a child again and ran to her sister.

Effy was walking towards her with her blonde hair up in a high ponytail and her leather boots making a clear clicking sound against the marble floors. Caleb was walking next to Effy, his arm around her waist. There was a time when Rory didn't exactly like Caleb but she's grown to like him and now thinks very highly of him.