21. so much but yet so little

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

so much but yet so little

February turned into March and the madness of the Second Task had settled like a dust on a dry Spring day in weeks. The whole March clan and their closest friends were still absolutely furious at Dumbledore and the whole school faculty really. Rory was no longer the only one in the spotlight but Lara too ― people were very interested to know why she didn't wake up immediately but she couldn't tell since she had no idea either.

Otherwise things were going well and for Rory's luck, the aftermath of the task has actually brought the two friends much closer to each other. They would spend hours just talking after the day's classes are over or have little meetups in the library. They did keep their flourishing friendship a secret from others — they didn't want anyone to think anymore of their friendship than needed.

Not that there was anymore in it.

They were just friends.

Hermione's friendship with Viktor however had taken a hit. It wasn't because of the second task — not entirely at least. Rory wasn't exactly sure what had happened between Hermione and Viktor after the second task but according to Hermione she had friendzoned the poor boy quite fast. She had never been interested in Viktor in a romantic way and honestly only accepted his request to be his date to the Yule Ball out of good manners.

When she was chosen as Viktor's treasure she had realised that she should probably clear things up with Viktor and let him know she was not interested in him.

"I kind of feel bad for him though," said Hermione once explaining everything to Rory.

To avoid any prying eyes inside the castle, Rory and Hermione were walking towards the kitchens where the house-elves work. Hermione wanted Rory to meet someone while Rory honestly was up to anything just to keep her mind off of the disasters in her life.

"But I'm glad I made it clear. I really am not interested in him."

Rory thought she was a horrible person but hearing that Hermione was not interested in Viktor did make her feel quite good. She had been worried when she first saw them at the Yule Ball — worried and maybe a little bit jealous.

"You really aren't?" Rory had to ask to make sure.

"Yeah. He's nice and everything but I'm not into... that," said Hermione, shrugging her shoulders.

As they were approaching the kitchen, the smell of the upcoming dinner filled the air around them. Rory has been in the kitchens before — Via had once sleepwalked all the way there and was found after hours of searches around the castle.