CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

At those three names, Valyria's head snapped up in recognition and more importantly bewilderment. Valyria didn't even know they were in King's Landing. To be fair, she did not have much time to socialise this far, yet none of those three had been in court for years. But none of them had been near the capital in years to her knowledge.

"Do you know any of them?" Cyrenna asked her mother, noticing the recognition in her eyes.

"Lord Benedict was my grandfather's Master of Laws," Valyria said thoughtfully. "Ser Paxton served as the King's cupbearer during his last years and the Archmaester – I recognise his name, but I am not sure from where."

Lord Benedict Blackwood was probably around forty namedays when King Jaehaerys died and he returned to Raventree Hall. Nearly thirty years had passed since, meaning he would be in his seventies now. An old man that didn't live at court had little reason to torture himself by riding across the realm – so the King must have called him.

Before Valyria could ponder over what Viserys and the four men spoke about last night and that morning, Daeron ran past her, chasing one of the kitchen cats. "Slow down there," she stopped him and crouched down in front of him.

"Try to not wrinkle your skirts, Valyria," Serra warned her. It would not be the first time Valyria mistakenly wrinkled or got dirt on her dresses from chasing or playing with one of the children. But rarely in court where she tended to be a bit more careful since her appearance of a Targaryen Princess reflected on the prestige of the Crown. In Dorne however, she got more respect from showing that she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

Valyria playfully rolled her eyes at her lady-in-waiting's scolding – usually it was Cecily that pampered over her appearance – and her childish gesture made Daeron giggle. Valyria adjusted the collar of his tunic and brushed a few locks of silver hair back, picking up a leaf between her fingers. "Could you stay out of the bushes until after we have seen what your father wants us all for?" she asked, narrowing her eyes in a fun-loving manner.

Daeron nodded, "I will – for now," he promised.

"That goes for you two, Aelia," Valyria added, beckoning her daughter over. The young Martell Princes practically skipped over to her mother. "Both of you behaved splendidly during the petitions yesterday – and during dinner. I am very proud of you two, I hope you know that. There will be a lot more people in the throne room today. It might be a little scary, loud and crowded, but just do what you did yesterday and everything will go by smoothly. If any of you feel insecure, see what Cyrenna is doing and do the same."

Aelia and Daeron nodded in understanding just as the doors opened to reveal her husband. Matching her, Daemon wore a red tunic with only the sleeves visible while the rest was covered by a black surcoat that went down to his knees. Around his waist hung a leather belt where Dark Sister proudly was hanging; hopefully he would not have any use of the Valyrian steel sword during the gathering.

"Are you ready?" he asked, eyes sweeping between the people in the room, lingering at his wife.

"Aye," Valyria stood up and instinctively smoothed out her skirt. "Is Baela and Rhaena ready?" Since she didn't get much time spent with the two of them together, Rhaenys offered to help her granddaughters prepare for court. Having lost her only daughter, Rhaenys clearly got so much joy out of being there for Laena's children.

"Mhm," Daemon hummed, an air of boredom surrounding him. Though, with Daemon that didn't necessarily mean he was bored - in fact, she knew he was curious as to why his brother all of a sudden decided to gather his court - but it was a way for him to distance himself. Pretend he never cared about anything.

"Hurry along then," Valyria said to the children. "We wouldn't dare keep His Grace waiting."

Much like the previous day, Valyria and Daemon walked first - her hand resting against the crook of his elbow - while their children trailed behind them. This time they were also joined by Rhaenys who walked alongside her cousins.