𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟕

HIS CERULEAN EYES FLICKERED, emotions running through them as those words left her lips

HIS CERULEAN EYES FLICKERED, emotions running through them as those words left her lips. He had forced himself to bury everything that had to do with his plan to rise to power, including the treason he was bound to commit behind closed doors, deep within the crevices of his mind.

"Ruelle," he said seriously, "Why are you asking that?"

"So you know exactly who you decided to marry," she said softly, "If you back out after tonight I would understand and comply with no grudges."

Soo-Won did not like the sound of her words, especially now that she was suddenly alright with him leaving. As if whatever she was about to tell him would suddenly break their relationship. Her eyes were on his as a serious expression crossed over her face.

"The former King Il and I," she said slowly, "Did not get along."

The news was... surprising to say the least. He thought she was going to say something else, but her confessing this to him meant she trusted him enough to know this side of her.

"It's ironic really," she laughed bitterly, "I'm suddenly in line to be the next Queen of Kouka when I absolutely detested the previous king. Sounds a little.. traitorous, doesn't it?"

"Not at all," Soo-Won answered, "It only makes sense as your kingdom has long been in conflict with Kouka."

"Right," she murmured, "But the ongoing feud wasn't the only reason I disagreed with him."

Hearing his future wife share the same views as he does with the King of Kouka made him feel relieved. Like there was one more person on his side— she just didn't know it yet. And he intended to make sure she knew.

"And that would be?"

Ruelle pursed her lips, grabbing hold of the cup of tea and taking a sip.

"While he was a loving and doting character in public," she said slowly, "He was an absolute failure of a king. The worst part though, was that he knew it but didn't try to take action. Even when those around him gave him advice."

The Princess' eyebrows lowered as she took a breath, "I lost a dear friend because of it."

Soo-Won's eyes widened, realizing what she meant.

"Then Hak.."

Ruelle looked down at her cup with a pained expression, her eyebrows knitted. Her grip on the teacup tightened as she began to recollect the memories that plagued her mind.

"Yes, Son Hak. Future General and Chief of the Wind Tribe. Also my closest friend during my childhood."

Soo-Won grasped her hand in his, assuring her that he wasn't going anywhere and that she was free to tell him everything.

"You don't have to force any unwanted memories," he smiled softly.

Ruelle shook her head, "No. You must know who you're marrying. It's only fair."