Chapter 7

Vincent was looking at the large selection of food that lay spread on the table before him, making the chef a bit nervous. The head chef was hoping that everything was to Vincent's liking, because he honestly didn't want to lose his life over something that didn't please his boss.

"Is everything to your liking? If you want, I can go and have something else made and change it out with something that displeases you that is on the table right now," the head chef said.

"Everything is fine. There is no need to go through with making something else. Remember this is only a sample tasting. This is so that both my wife and I can do together and pick what we want at the wedding reception," Vincent said.

"Do you have any clue as to who will be attending your wedding, if you don't mind me asking," the head chef asked.

"I have a guest list. But that is really none of your concern. Your only concern is making sure you make food that will satisfy not only my guests, but my wife to be as well," Vincent said before the doors to the formal dining room opened, revealing Chidi leading Salem inside.

Both Chidi and Salem made their way over to where Vincent was waiting for them.

"Thank you for helping me find my way to the formal dining room," Salem said before turning to look at all the food spread across the table. Salem turned her attention to Vincent, giving him a questioning look. "What is all of this?"

"This is a spread of food to sample for our wedding. I want you to be happy with the food choice, as well as figuring out what kind of cake you want. You know all of the things that go into a wedding," Vincent said.

"You don't want to go through with this wedding either, do you? Do you really want to go through with this, knowing that if you go through with it you won't be able to go and run around with other women, who may show interest in you," Salem tried to reason with Vincent hoping to get through to him.

Vincent let out a laugh as he listened to what Salem said. "Oh dear you really are funny, thinking that I pay attention to other women and what they feel. I don't have time for any other women who are willing to throw themselves at me, hoping that I will give them the time of day. If any other woman were to know about the things that I do for a living, they would go running in the other direction, not wanting anything to do with my lifestyle."

"Can you blame them? You go around cleaning up the mess of any assassin who happens to leave the bodies and destruction behind wherever they go. What makes you think that any normal woman would want to be part of that kind of life? If I had the choice, I wouldn't be part of this life either," Salem said.

"Well, you have your brother to thank for not having a choice in the matter. Though you really should be thanking your brother. If it wasn't for your brother deciding to become an assassin for the High Table, then you would be living a life of never getting everything that you want," Vincent said while walking around Salem in a circle. "Do you really want to go and live a life of not quite having something that you want and know is within your reach, but you can't quite get it? Do you really want to live a life of wanting something, and busting your backside to make the money to get everything you want?"

"I believe in working hard to get what I want. Hard work is better than having things handed to you all at the cost of someone else's blood. It's not right," Salem said.

"I don't kill people per-say. I clean up the mess of those who do the killing. I only kill if I truly have to. Which is not always so often, thank goodness for that. I am quite a busy man with other things. And now helping you plan a wedding that will be taking place in a few days. But enough talk about that. We have decisions to make regarding our reception."