Chapter 0 - Dead.

No one expected it. Who would? There were rumors of a disease that kills you and reanimates your corpse. But it was just a rumor, nothing more.

That day the outbreak got my town was bad, especially for the people in the hospital. Like me and my family.

My sister's hair was starting to fall out a few days ago before it happened because of the medicine she was on. She decided that it was time to get it over with because it got bad and wanted to shave it the day before.

I stood by her side as the razor buzzed off what thin braille hair Aubrey had left on her head. It hurt to see my older sister in this sickly state.

My mom was wiping her tears and kept telling her it was going to be okay. She didn't want to leave and I didn't intervene, I didn't have the authority.

I had learned long ago that I was somewhat of a black sheep to my family. I didn't think I was different, but with my dad out of the picture, my mom and sister grew close and I had no one to turn to.

I've always hated my father for leaving but this aching feeling of having someone in my family that I could grow close to never left.

I hopped into the passenger seat of the car and my eyes immediately floated to the window, it helped me avoid talking to people. Mom took her sweet time before getting into the car. The car beeped as the engine starts and the radio starts playing. Mom swiftly backed out of the garage and driveway and went left to the highway.

I hadn't spoken to my mom by the time we got to the hospital and I held the door open for her.

My mom signed us in and I didn't focus on anything as the excitement to see my sister filled my body up. She placed the pen down and slid the sheet to the receptionist.

We headed left to the elevator dodging people as we went. Lots of police sirens drove by as we waited for the elevator to come to our level.

I pressed the button for the third floor as my mom stayed silent. We didn't speak the entire time despite being the only ones in the elevator as it went up. The elevator doors opened and Mom walked out first, we headed left to Aubrey's room.

Ever since Aubrey got sick my mom has been quiet. She only talked when she needed something.

I held Aubrey's hospital door open for Mom as she put the bag on one of the chairs in the room. Before my mom can ask how Aubrey's doing like she usually does Aubrey says,

"I'm done." Mom and I both looked at her with confusion, "I want to die." Silence.

"What do you mean you're done!" Mom said slowly raising her voice into a scream with tears filling her eyes, "I've spent so much money on you, think about your potential! You can be anything you want dammit, you can't do this to me!"

"And I want to be dead, you can't stop me," Aubrey said that in such a blank voice it was like she was a robot. I don't know what to say, I just stare at Aubrey wide-eyed trying to hold back tears. She turned to look at me, "It's going to be ok, it's better this way." Aubrey said, her voice breaking. She started to tear up too.

"No, it's not, please don't, don't leave me with her." is all I could mutter before Mom held Aubrey by the shoulders shaking her.

"Don't do this to me! Don't fucking do this! You're all I have left!" My mom sobbed at my sister. All she has left? I stare at Mom in utter disbelief, not like she'd see me.

"It's not about you, it's my decision, and I want to die. I'm ready." My sister told my mom in the calm voice from before. Hot tears streamed down from my eyes as I listened to what was left of my family get destroyed. More sirens pass by while the security guards have to claw Mom away from Aubrey. "It's what's best," Aubrey says, trying to comfort me.