Chapter 1, Atlanta.

My whole life I wished I had a different mom, one who didn't drink, yet when she did die all I felt was regret for wishing for someone else. After she got bit I dragged her body out to the backyard. I spent hours digging a place for what was once my mother. I rolled her over into the hole as carefully as I could. It took me an hour to fill the dirt back in, I didn't—- couldn't cry but it still hurt. I took tree branches off the tree that had been in our backyard since before I was alive. Two crosses were made, one for Mom, and one for Aubrey. Using the knife that was my sister's I carved names into the makeshift crosses.

I decided to leave, I packed anything I could, everything I would bring to school, and a knife and tent. Before I left I wrote a note for Dad.

I'm leaving, Mom and Aubrey are dead. I'm heading to Atlanta, I hope I'll see you soon. - Evie.

Would he even remember me? He hadn't seen me since I was born, and that was 14 years ago. He might've been able to recognize Aubrey since she was four when she left but she's dead. If he had stalked Mom or Aubrey's Myspace or Facebook he would be able to recognize me, seeing as though my pink bangs make me stick out like a sore thumb.

After writing that I kept the door unlocked and walked into the open streets of my small town heading north to Atlanta. That's where I am now, I haven't made it far but I've seen a few of the uglys. I outran them and dodged them, they're dumb. I headed to the gas station where before everything went down, I got my school lunches.

"Hello?" I don't scream it but say in a loud voice. Nothing. The owners must have abandoned it, and it was fully stocked. I have room in my backpack so I grab my favorites. Cookies and cream chocolate bars, plain potato chips, and some water. I grab other stuff too but they're okay things, nothing as extraordinary as my picks. I step back outside after that but the way I was gonna go is blocked by the dead. There are so many it's like a concert, except they are trying to eat you. From their shirts it looks like it was an environmental protest. Some of the shirts say 'Stop forest cutting' 'What about the kids, the future', and stuff like that. I look around but decide to climb the gas station roof. I always wanted to but Mom said I couldn't because no one could get me up there.

I throw my backpack up and soon follow. The crowd gets closer but I'm on the roof by the time they are passing by. I go to the top of the roof for extra precaution. None of them come my way, yet I stare in fear. I scoot away from them as they pass so they can't see me at all. None of them even turned in my direction! I'm just that sneaky, or maybe they just don't care? You know, that protest is kind of ironic. 'Save the kids!' but they're probably eating some right now. It takes them a half hour to pass, but I leave way after they're gone. They're ugly, grimy, stinky, and murdered everyone and I'm just not dealing with that. 

My town's small but it borders Atlanta. Or is it a village? Is there even a difference? A few blocks down is a road that goes straight to the middle of Atlanta so if I get there I should be able to get to the safe zone before night time. Those things that are roaming are scary in the day but at night! Fuck no!

I walk with my headphones on with one ear open to listen. Music from Deftone blasts in my ear.

I started to see the high buildings from the main part of the town, anxiety bubbled up inside me. What do I do if there is a group? If I'm not useful enough could they just throw me out?

I approach the nearest building carefully.

"Hello?" I call out, after seeing people do that in movies so it's only right if I do it too. The only thing I'm met with is one of the infected. I run to my right practically hugging the building. I see the building's entrance and pull the door open. It doesn't budge. I push the door. It doesn't budge. The ugly thing gets closer and closer. I frantically wiggle the door back and forth in an attempt to get it open.