Always the Preferred Lover

Brooke

I leaned over the counter of the coffee shop and smiled. "One hot chocolate, please," I asked Ben. He nodded and wrote down my order on a notepad.

"That'll be three dollars and forty cents," he smiled. "And may I say, you're looking quite amazing today."

I couldn't help but grin as I pulled my purse out of my bag. "Aww, Ben! You're so sweet!"

He ran his hands through his shaggy red hair shyly. "I always love it when you come in after school, Brooke. It makes my shift much more exciting."

I smiled and gave him a five dollar note. He pressed a few buttons on the cash register, then put the note into the till.

"That's one dollar and sixty cents change," he smiled, handing me the coins. I took them and gave him a thankful grin. "Your order will be ready in a few minutes," he continued, "and I'll also be on my break in a few minutes." He gave me a clever wink.

"Thanks, Ben," I laughed. "I'll keep that in mind." I put the change in my purse and walked away.

I chose a table near the front of the cafe, and sat down on the seat facing the counter. That way, I could watch Ben work, without being noticed.

Unlike my sudden feelings for Dan, I had always had a crush on Ben, ever since I'd first met him. I was only nine at the time, but when I saw him, I knew he was my true love.

Ben had been the best friend of my brother, Jake, ever since they were in year seven. Back then, Ben was always coming over to our house, and I took every opportunity I could to spend time with him. Even though I was so young, he had taken my young love for him really well, and we'd become good friends.

Now, seven years later, we were closer than ever. Ben was almost nineteen, and I had just turned sixteen, but our age gap didn't phase us at all. If anything, it just made us closer, especially since my dad liked Ben's maturity and approved of our friendship.

Lately, I had spent a lot of time at the cafe where Ben worked. It wasn't just because I adored him; according to Jake, Ben adored me too. We had never been brave enough to share our feelings with each other, though, even though we knew they were there.

"Fancy seeing you here," someone said behind me, interrupting my thoughts. I spun around to look at them.

"Pete," I said carefully, recognizing one of Dan's friends from school. "What are you doing here?"

Pete gestured to his black apron. "I work here. Got a job last Friday. Cool, hey?"

"I guess so," I smiled politely. I honestly didn't care that much. There was only one worker here who interested me.

"Yeah..." Pete nodded, rocking backwards and forwards on his heels. "So. I heard that you and Dan are going out."

I frowned. "Did he tell you that?"

"Is that a yes?" Pete grinned.

"No," I said quickly.

"Oh. Well, that's a shame," he sighed. "He really likes you."

"This is Dan we're talking about," I laughed. "He doesn't like girls; he takes advantage of them."

"Are you sure?" Pete asked, raising an eyebrow. Those three words suddenly hit me like a train. Was I sure? Was Dan REALLY a player, or was I just judging him unfairly?

Our conversation was interrupted by Ben, who came to give me my hot chocolate. "Is this guy bothering you, miss?" He asked professionally.

"No," I answered, looking at Pete through narrowed eyes. "He was actually just about to go."

Pete looked like he was about to protest, but I shot him the hardest glare I could manage. I didn't want to talk about Dan anymore, especially in front of Ben.

Pete's eyes widened, then he nodded. "Yeah, I was just about to leave. See you at school, Brooke."

"Bye," I smiled. I watched Pete walk into the kitchen, then I turned to Ben. He had a strange look on his face.

"What's up?" I asked him.

"Who was that guy?" He replied, taking a seat on the other side of my table and handing me the hot chocolate.

"That's Pete," I said slowly. I took a quick sip of my drink before continuing. "Don't you know him? He's been working here since Friday."

Ben shook his head. "We haven't taken on any new staff members since last year, Brooke."

I sat still for a few seconds, completely confused. "What do you mean?"

"I mean...that guy doesn't work here."