Chapter 62

"Mayday! Mayday! Does anybody copy?"

A pained gasp escaped Kat's lips as the tinny voice in her ear roused her, the steady drip of icy water on her cheek washing away the fog that had filled her head, her hand slowly reaching to clasp where her temple throbbed, before realising she couldn't move her arms.

Her staggered breaths quickly became panicked as her body jolted amidst the rubble she was trapped under, her eyes blinking in the darkness.

"We're on the lower level, it's flooding!"

Rhodes. That was the voice she could hear over her comms.

What had happened?

Spluttering on the water that dripped over her face and the gritty debris that it carried, she forced herself to think. To override the screaming confusion that threatened to engulf her as she tried to make sense of what had just happened.

An explosion. She remembered the sound; the sensation of her body being catapulted into a wall – she had hit her head. Then there was the hazy sensation of falling – and then she had woken up, and she had no idea how long it had taken her to do that.

"We're drowning, does anybody copy? Mayday!"

The urgent yell in her ear spurred her to move. To flex her fingers and push against the crumbled stone she felt there. She could turn her head, but her shoulders were pinned down, something had fallen on her – a few mercifully positioned lumps of brickwork the width of her body were the only thing that had stopped it crushing her completely. It was wet, she could feel water pooling under her palms. She had to be close to wherever Rhodes was, he had only been a few feet from her when they had stood in the common room-

Groaning with effort, she managed to pull her elbows towards her body, forcing her arms to press upwards, to brace her back against whatever was trapping her and push hard.

"Shit-" She gasped as a steady torrent of water splashed down through the inch of space she bought herself, quickly soaking her hair and slithering past the neckline of her suit, the chill banishing whatever haze still lingered after the blow to her head. "Rhodes- I think I'm close, there's water, I don't know where it's coming from-" Her rushed gasps came with the hope that her comms hadn't been knocked out of place, the hope that they were picking up her words.

This wasn't supposed to happen – they had done it, they had undone the Snap, what the hell had gone wrong?

Gritting her teeth, she wriggled her body to draw her knees up to her chest, wincing as her left ankle required a more forceful jerk to free it from whatever was pinning it down. It was beginning to feel more and more likely that it was a full wall.

"C'mon." She muttered to herself, clenching her fists as she fought against the pressing sense that she couldn't breathe, as the water gathering around her knees and elbows didn't seem to drain away. "C'mon Kat – get up."