Chapter 3

Katrina bit her lip as she adjusted the strap of the rucksack hanging from her shoulder with one hand, the other clasping the plastic loop that hung from the ceiling of the tram carriage as it rattled along its rails

Katrina bit her lip as she adjusted the strap of the rucksack hanging from her shoulder with one hand, the other clasping the plastic loop that hung from the ceiling of the tram carriage as it rattled along its rails. She hoped the tension lacing every muscle in her body wasn't apparent on her face, the baseball cap pulled low over her features would do little to disguise her trepidation if anyone happened to look twice at her.

Though, she had always been good at blending in. At disappearing into a crowd as just another forgotten face. Right now, she was just one of the thousands of backpackers that swarmed this city every weekend – just another tourist passing through, with her friend in tow.

A sideways glance and a tight smile confirmed the fact that Natasha was still at her side, lazily scrolling through her phone as she chewed on a piece of gum in the perfect facsimile of the bored traveller. None of the commuters on the tram had given them a second glance since they had stepped on, back in the outer suburbs of the city, save for the two men sat at the opposite end of the carriage. She could feel Sam glancing their way periodically from behind his aviators, but Steve was resolutely keeping his head low beneath his own cap. Of all of them, he had one of the most recognisable and wanted faces in the world and that made public transport a bit of a nightmare, even with the beard he had started growing a few months back.

Though it was still a more inconspicuous option than trying to land the Quinjet in the middle of Amsterdam.

Her head lifted as they bumped over a familiar bridge, her eyes searching the darkened city outside the window as the reflections of streetlights rippled on the water of the canal for a brief moment, before the tram dove back into the network of shops and restaurants that lined the street. They were close enough now.

Casting a pointed glance to Natasha, Kat released her hold on the strap that was keeping her steady as the carriage rocked, slowly making her way to the doors opposite where Steve and Sam had taken their seats, holding her breath as she passed by the few other passengers that barely glanced up as Natasha followed her. She felt Steve's looming presence at her back as she stationed herself by the doors, catching Sam's small nod out of the corner of her eye as he joined them.

"This us?"

"Yep." She breathed, not looking back in response to Steve's question as the tram ground to a halt and she hit the heel of her hand against the door release button; "End of the line."

They didn't speak as they stepped out into the rush of cool air, Kat's three companions shadowing her closely as she led them down a narrow side street and away from any prying eyes that might be lurking along the main walkways of the city.

"You sure about this?" Natasha murmured, matching Kat's stride as they kept to the shadows, avoiding the light and clamour of conversation that spilled from the open door of a restaurant they passed by.

"Not really." Kat sighed honestly, her hand anxiously palming the phone nestled in her jacket pocket as they kept up their brisk pace through the darkness, "But it's all we've got right now."