Chapter 23

The air was a little thinner, up here

Warm, clean, it clamoured with the soft sounds of the jungle. The rustling of wind passing over thick, waxy leaves, the drip of water and the gentle chirp of insects. The earth underfoot was soft, in this little clearing sheltered by the rock face that protruded from the gently rolling mountain she had spent the day summiting. There was a little hollow carved into that grey stone, whether by man or time, Kat couldn't tell, but it seemed as good a place as any to set her pack down. Rolling her shoulders and stretching her arms above her head, she listened to the distant call of the birds disturbed by her presence, letting her eyes fall closed as she drank in the moment of stillness, before getting to work.

The birds quietened as the soft cloak of night crept over that little corner of Wakanda. Deep violet twilight seeped into the undergrowth first, as the sun began to sink towards the rich, emerald canopy of the trees, but it was held at bay by the warm tongues of flame that licked from the fire Kat had constructed in the centre of the clearing. Smaller points of illumination marked the perimeters of the meeting place, acting as guiding beacons for any who might be journeying through the night, as well as occupying any insects that would venture from the trees in search of light, keeping them from disturbing the central fire. Watching the shadows of ferns as they flickered and danced over the warped roots of the trees, Kat sat upon the spread of blankets she had carried in her pack with her knees tucked to her chest, her arms folded atop to provide a pillow for her chin. Waiting. Hoping that she would be forgiven for turning up here.

The anxious thrum of her heart that had been her companion on the climb had steadied, though. Her nerves and apprehension about this day, this moment, had been laid aside. What remained was a steady, unwavering sense of hope. Of certainty, and a gentle undercurrent of calm, of peace. For the first time, she believed with her whole heart that they were on the right path.

She didn't have to wait much longer. The gentle snap of twigs and the shifting of the undergrowth alerted her to the fact that she wasn't alone, prompting her to lift her chin to watch as Ayo emerged into the clearing, on the same path Kat had followed. Exchanging a small smile of greeting, she watched the Dora warrior step into the firelight, glancing back over her shoulder as she was joined by the man ducking beneath a branch.

Bucky's steps stilled as his gaze fell upon Kat, his expression betraying nothing as she slowly rose to her feet, brushing the creases from her woven skirt as it settled back around her ankles, ensuring it wouldn't be singed by the fire that burned between them. He watched her for a long moment, giving her time to take in his guarded stance, his body draped in warm layers of fabric to stave off the chill of the night air on the mountain.

"Kat..."

"I know." She whispered, a small, apologetic tug of her lips crossing her features at the hint of disappointment in his voice. "I'm not supposed to be here."

"I could-"

"You won't hurt me." She promised tenderly, stepping around the boundary stones that rimmed the fire to slowly approach him, reaching out to take his hand in both of hers and drawing him closer to the firelight. "I won't let you; Ayo won't let you. You won't hurt anyone."