Chapter 42

Six Months Since the Snap

"Could the defendant please identify themselves to the court?"

"Katrina Erika Ivanov, your honour."

"And any aliases this court might know you by?"

"Katherine Irwin."

"Miss Ivanov, you stand accused of acts of terrorism against the United States of America as a member of HYDRA and of the KGB. Of the forgery and falsification of identification documentation to illegally seek employment and residency within the European Union. Of association with and harbouring of the known HYDRA operative James Buchanan Barnes. Of numerous violations of the Sokovia Accords and United Nations Law, including but not limited to; aiding an unlawful attack on the Raft Prison, assault and battery, breaking and entering, trespassing, unlicenced piloting of aircraft across restricted airspace, illegal manufacture and use of explosive devices and automatic weaponry with the intent to carry out vigilante activity, and association with known fugitives Steven Grant Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, Sam Wilson and Wanda Maximov. Do you understand the charges laid against you?"

"I understand, your honour."

"How do you plead?"

"Guilty."

Her voice sounded so weak, in that grey, soulless room. The slight pause after her plea seeming to last for minutes, before the bright flash and sound of several camera shutters reminded her to blink. Reminded her to lift her gaze from the crest of the United Nations emblazoned on the back wall of the echoing Washington courtroom. Echoing, because only half of the seats were filled, if even half.

Glancing down, she met the unwavering, encouraging blue gaze that also reminded her to breathe. To exhale the stale air she held in her lungs and let her shoulders drop from where they hunched tightly against the rigid chair she sat on.

"Miss Ivanov, as with your associates, this court has elected to take into account your actions during the Spring of 2018. Your service in defence of Earth during the Battle of Wakanda and testimonials from witnesses have been noted, as well as your efforts in the month that followed."

There, she had to force herself to breathe again. Past the aching, hollow feeling in her chest.

"This court has also been informed of your defection from HYDRA and efforts to remove residing factions of this organisation across the globe. In light of these events, the dissolving of the Sokovia Accords and the current global crisis, this court has elected to grant you a conditional pardon. Those conditions are as follows; you will be re-registered as a Russian citizen and will be issued with valid identification, you will be granted permission to continue residing within the United States. You may not continue to use any aliases or create any counterfeit identification. You will also be registered as an enhanced individual and your risk to the general public will be continually assessed based on your actions as a free agent. You will not engage in illegal activities within or outside the United Nations jurisdiction. You will not associate with, nor make contact with any existing or previous member or operative of HYDRA. Your pardon can be reviewed or withdrawn at any time, at the discretion of the United Nations or the Combined Counter-Terrorism Task Force. Do you understand these conditions, Miss Ivanov?"