Prologue: "New Years Eve Kiss"

Start from the beginning

"Noooooo Asian, I'm not wearing a dress tonight. I'm doing just fine in my jeans with Tupac on my chest, thank you very much."

She picked up her phone, hearing Asian huffing through the receiver before strolling her way toward the walk in closet. Kaliyah stood in the doorway, eyeing the messy closet before spotting her black and white chuck taylors.

"What shoes are you wearing tonight Kali? I think I might wear some heels."

"Heels? For a house party?"

Kaliyah questioned. She just grabbed her allstars before exiting the closet.

"Yes heels. It's new years eve dummy. Plus I need Dayvon to notice me tonight. There's no way in hell he's gonna look in my direction if he sees me dressed up like you."

Asian snickered.

Both Asian and Kaliyah were cousins. They grew up together ever since they were kids on the west side of Chicago. Asian's personality came off as extremely strong and slightly rude, but Kaliyah was definitely used to it all. She knew Asian like the back of her hand, so nothing she really said ever effected her deeply. Asian was just a strong mouthed, extremely opinionated, boy crazy 15 year old type of girl.

Kaliyah on the other hand was more reserved. She usually kept her opinions to herself, and was not as outgoing as Asian was. The two girls were completely opposite from each other, but none the less they still got along since they were so close.

"Dayvon? Asian, pleaseeee tell me we aren't going to Parkway tonight."

Kaliyah groaned lowly, sitting at the edge of her bed as she struggled to put her sneakers on. Parkway, also known as O'Block, which was about 20 minutes away from where they lived was an area that Kaliyah knew not to be in. Bad things always seemed to happen in that neighborhood.

Plus, Kaliyah's father, Lorenzo Ross, would literally kill her if he ever found out that that's where she was going to be spending her New Year's this evening.

Kaliyah was an only child. It was just her and her father living together ever since her Mother died 3 years ago. Now, Kaliyah's dad wasn't one of those strict parents. Lorenzo was always way too busy with work to the point where he never really took the time to pay much attention to Kali at all.

She was used to it though, and frankly she preferred it that way. As long as she was getting good grades in school, and staying out of trouble, her father practically left her alone. Lorenzo did implement a curfew for her which she had to always be home by 11pm every night. But other then that, if Kali ever had to go anywhere, her dad never gave her a hard time with leaving the house.

"Well, Leilani's brother Taurus is the one hosting the party, and I just know for a fact that Von is gon' be there."

Asian spoke with excitement.

"Ugh... welp. I'm gonna have to come up with some sort of lie now since my Dad can't know I'm going to that side of town."

Kali grumbled, inwardly rolling her eyes. She hated lying, especially to her father.

"Hoe just tell him that you comin' to my place tonight. He'll believe you."

"I know he'll believe me... until we get shot at and die at this party."

Kaliyah snickered.

"Bitch ain't nobody finna get shot at and die. You so dramatic, Kali."

Asian chuckled. Kaliyah just made sure her sneakers were tide not too tight before stuffing the laces inside her shoes.